starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fasted AM cardio

Default fasted AM cardio

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am trying to figure out a method of low intensity, slow boring cardio for a handful of fasted AM workouts each week. trying to cut down a little bit of fat this winter.

I have tried walking on a tredmill at an incline but it makes me want to slit my wrists after 10 minutes. I'd much rather just get out and walk outside, but I don't think I can get my heartrate up enough just by walking without some sort of load to make up for the lack of an incline.

My initial thought was to get a weighted vest... then I saw how outrageously expensive they are. I figure I'd need to get one that can hold around 100lbs, which runs in the neighborhood of $250 to $350. This seems crazy expensive considering for $350 I could get a REAL bullet proof vest.

My next thought is just getting a backpack and filling it with sand, but I don't know how well that will work.

Thoughts/Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by tweakxc03 View Post
    I am trying to figure out a method of low intensity, slow boring cardio for a handful of fasted AM workouts each week. trying to cut down a little bit of fat this winter.

I have tried walking on a tredmill at an incline but it makes me want to slit my wrists after 10 minutes. I'd much rather just get out and walk outside, but I don't think I can get my heartrate up enough just by walking without some sort of load to make up for the lack of an incline.

My initial thought was to get a weighted vest... then I saw how outrageously expensive they are. I figure I'd need to get one that can hold around 100lbs, which runs in the neighborhood of $250 to $350. This seems crazy expensive considering for $350 I could get a REAL bullet proof vest.

My next thought is just getting a backpack and filling it with sand, but I don't know how well that will work.

Thoughts/Ideas?
    Titan Fitness Adjustable Weighted Vest 60LBS Resistance Weight Training Football

Have you consider doing HIIT instead of low intensity cardio? Or even just cut some calories out instead of cardio?
    If I really have to do so, I'd rather walk outside and try to walk faster instead of spending hundreds on some weighted vests, I just can't see the benefits of them.

I already do sled work 2-3 days a week. Just to do some low intensity stuff to get the blood moving in the mornings.

The only way I can do walking treadmill is by watching TV at the same time.

I don't think 60# vest is gonna do jack, if at or close to 0% grade walking.

Regular backback straps probably not made for 100# sand. Prob tear where stitched in.

Skipping rope an option?

Ghetto weighted vest...

Get two back packs, fill with heavy things as needed. Put one on normally, put the other on backwards. There ya go.

With the sled work already and your desire to lean out, have to adjusted your food intake?
    Or just tried adding AM walks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    The only way I can do walking treadmill is by watching TV at the same time.

I don't think 60# vest is gonna do jack, if at or close to 0% grade walking.

Regular backback straps probably not made for 100# sand. Prob tear where stitched in.
    I tried sandbag walks as conditioning for a while.
    * use gravel instead of sand, it's less dusty and messy
    * Kid's school backpacks are good for about 40-60 lbs before the straps tear off
    * surplus army duffel bags are good for at least 100 lbs
    * not as much fun as you might imagine, particularly in the rain or when the sidewalks are icy
    * will definitely make you a weirdo in the eyes of your neighbors

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Leah Lutz View Post
    With the sled work already and your desire to lean out, have to adjusted your food intake?
    Or just tried adding AM walks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    +1.

OP, I know that you mentioned you're looking for a way to do fasted cardio. However, if your goal is to cut some fat, and you're already doing sled work, from my personal experience, I don't believe fasted cardio makes a significant difference. I don't think there's anything wrong with it - I did it twice a week during a cut. But if you really don't like walking/running on a treadmill, I don't think you need to.

A calorie deficit + conditioning + weight lifting is probably a better use of time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast