starting strength gym
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grip tips please

Default Grip tips please

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everybody I have a few questions about general grip training and if my thoughts to train it more are on the right track.

Basically after having carpal tunnel surgery on my hands a bit over a year ago my grip has gone to shit as expected, but I am tired of having shit grip and want to try fix it quick.

Six months after the surgery I started to get back into lifting (not the SS progression that I have changed to now) and I managed to pull 100kg for reps which made me happy. But it has been another 7 months and my grip is still shit and I have only managed 120kg for 3 reps before my fingers roll out and refuse to grip properly.

I have picked up some fat grips to force my hands to work harder and try speed along grip training. As for training plan to fix my grip I am considering at the end of every session I do some farmers carries with and without fat grips. On non deadlift days I am also thinking of doing an extra set or three of deadlifts with the fat grips. I won't be pulling as much weight obviously but more training should help it right?

I am just over doing deads and just having my hands and forearms be gassed, while my posterior chain is itching to pull more.

Thanks for any tips or ideas people may have.

I tried fat grips and it felt useless to me. The most bang for my buck has come from static holds using my work set grip. However, it is a dreadful combination of difficult + boring. I improved my DO grip a lot doing all my backoff sets that way. While it did improve my mixed grip a fair amount, the carry over wasn't that impressive.

If you follow IronMind's thinking, grip strength has multiple dimensions. Static, like Mugaaz mentioned, crushing, and several others. Which one are you concerned with?

I bought and used IronMind claw curls to good effect some years ago. The ability to better incrementally load them with a cable stack (which did) or with plates made it a better choice than the Captains of Crush.

someone linked this video here a few weeks ago.

Ed Coan's Favorite Skwaat and Deadlift Assistance Exercises - YouTube

Ed Coan grip strength

At the moment probably crushing, so I can grip the bar better with out my fingers unrolling on me.

I know I need to look into working as many grip variations as I can like pinch strength etc. But to start with being able to hold a bar better for now.

I will add isometric holds to my last rep though as that's an easy way to work things more

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I will have a proper look at the video, but accessories would also make sense. They will extend out my routine but if it helps with shit grip it will be worth it. Just don't want to mess with Rips systems to much to early.

Heavy Farmers Walks.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTriesToLift View Post
    At the moment probably crushing, so I can grip the bar better with out my fingers unrolling on me.

I know I need to look into working as many grip variations as I can like pinch strength etc. But to start with being able to hold a bar better for now.

I will add isometric holds to my last rep though as that's an easy way to work things more
    You can go insane naming all the subtlety different types of grip, but they're all basically variations of thumb and finger flexion.

You should train the thumb and finger flexors the same way you train other non-stabilizer muscle group...through a full range of motion. Static holds? No, that's isometric. Farmer's walks? Nope. Isometric.

Isometric training largely optimizes your existing muscle cross sectional area for a specific purpose.

Training via resistance though the largest effective range of motion is how you grow muscle.

Grippers do this ^

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    You can go insane naming all the subtlety different types of grip, but they're all basically variations of thumb and finger flexion.

You should train the thumb and finger flexors the same way you train other non-stabilizer muscle group...through a full range of motion. Static holds? No, that's isometric. Farmer's walks? Nope. Isometric.

Isometric training largely optimizes your existing muscle cross sectional area for a specific purpose.

Training via resistance though the largest effective range of motion is how you grow muscle.

Grippers do this ^
    Okay, so I should try to find myself some decent grippers and use them as well as isometric work, which would just be more deadlifts and accessories.

I will have a hunt for some decent ones as the cheap adjustable one doesn't appear to do much when I put it on its max setting.

What kind of rep/set patterns would you recommend I try?

starting strength coach development program
    Captains of Crush® Grippers

Start with the trainer, these grippers are no joke.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast