starting strength gym

Thread: Workout that makes you feel lost.

Default Workout that makes you feel lost.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    You guys ever have the following happen...you cruise along for weeks, everything feels and goes great. Form feels good etc. Then you have a workout that leaves you feeling like it was your first ever workout. Form feels like crap. You question everything about the squat (depth, knees position, grip). Everything just feels off. Weight felt heavy, didn't make the reps.

I had a super stressful week at work, I know t impacted my sleep and recovery and mental focus.

Just a super confusing and disappointing workout.

Quote Originally Posted by JLB105 View Post
    You guys ever have the following happen...you cruise along for weeks, everything feels and goes great. Form feels good etc. Then you have a workout that leaves you feeling like it was your first ever workout. Form feels like crap. You question everything about the squat (depth, knees position, grip). Everything just feels off. Weight felt heavy, didn't make the reps.

I had a super stressful week at work, I know t impacted my sleep and recovery and mental focus.

Just a super confusing and disappointing workout.
    You answered your own question.

Yes. Most days are average, some are really bad, some are awesome.

No point beating yourself up about the bad days. Just gotta put it behind ya - so long as you didn't hurt yourself, you can just focus on doing better next time.

Bad days happen. Learn from it and lift again in a few days.

Someone told me that 1 out of 5 workouts you will feel like a God, 1 out of 5 workouts will fucking suck, and the other 3 will just be punching the clock

This describes last Monday perfectly. No particular reason. Fucking awful. Did a few squats, then quit before even doing presses or DL.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    Someone told me that 1 out of 5 workouts you will feel like a God, 1 out of 5 workouts will fucking suck, and the other 3 will just be punching the clock
    That's a Dan John quote I believe.

The effects of poor recovery can hit you all of a sudden. These things matter more than most people realize. My current example: I have a baby that has kept me up at night the past 4 days, I am exhausted - what do you know, my knees and shoulders hurt for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by tdood View Post
    The effects of poor recovery can hit you all of a sudden. These things matter more than most people realize. My current example: I have a baby that has kept me up at night the past 4 days, I am exhausted - what do you know, my knees and shoulders hurt for no reason.
    Sleep seems to be the most important factor for me as well at least as far as aches and pains go. These days if I'm sore or have aching joints then it's almost always because of crappy sleep the night (or two) before.

starting strength coach development program
    My poorest sessions typically land on a Monday every 3 weeks (work rota & my "heavy" day) when I've came off a late shift straight on to an early for reasons posters have already mentioned (work stress, minimal sleep & below par nutrition within the last 24 hours).

Though easier said than done, anticipate & prepare for these days by having all of your food/ liquids ready made for that period & maximise time in bed actually sleeping rather than dwelling on the stress of work. Admittedly still trying to master the latter heh.