starting strength gym

Thread: Keto Diet helps keep my HS flares down...but training suffers

Default Keto Diet helps keep my HS flares down...but training suffers

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Those who have auto-immune disorders, 1) If you use the keto diet to keep your flares down then 2) How do you alter your training if you get gassed quickly during squats etc?

I have HS and my surgery to remove almost my whole left armpit's skin is later this year, along with medical not paying for it so yay for me coughing up $5k. Losing weight helped, changing my diet to keto is helping a lot with flares and I feel like my gainz will suffer forever. I realize I need to be heavier but my focus is getting a handle on my HS, not squat 500lbs. I don't care if I'm on the skinnier side if it means my flares are under control. The more fat I lose the better it seems to get.

I continue to try to get stronger, but missing workouts here and there when I flare screws that up. The lack of carbs sucks.

Stats:
    Male, 31, 6'4, 220lbs

Max squat right now: 305lbs x 3 reps
    Max Bench: 225lbs x 3 reps
    Max OHP: 142.5lbs x 3 reps
    Max Dead: 405lbs x 1 rep (Hooked)

Program (s x r):

Monday
    Squat: 3x5
    Upper body press A 3x5
    Chins

Wednesday
    Light squat 2x5
    Upper body press B 3x5
    Rows if I feel like it 3x8

Friday
    Squat 1x3 , 2 , 2 at a heavy weight
    Upper body press A 1 x 3, 3 , 3
    Deadlift 2x3 at heavy weight (Hooked)

Thanks for the inputs.
    Last edited by grand666; 01-17-2017 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Added info.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Have you asked Jordan about food timing and if there are some keto dieting tricks to get energy?

Something like what Andy Baker is offering might be a nice programming change of pace for you.
    I asked on his nutrition page but it never came through. Haven't posted in a while maybe he posts only questions from "active" members on here. Dunno.

You referring to one of Andy's latest posts? I just logged in today again after some time I might have missed a post you're referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Baker Barbell Club ? Andy Baker

There's the link.

It's $27 a month and the details are outlined on the page. I signed up because I keep beating myself up and just want to coast for a bit.
    Thank you I'm considering it. Does it cover diet as well, hence my post on keto, missing workouts due to flares etc?

I tried doing Keto for about a month and it did not help my energy levels or lifts at all. A lot of people recommend consuming much more sodium and potassium when on the diet because your body likes to get rid of it when on keto. Get yourself some bullion cubes and "salt free" salt and you might find it helps a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Polishdude20 View Post
    I tried doing Keto for about a month and it did not help my energy levels or lifts at all. A lot of people recommend consuming much more sodium and potassium when on the diet because your body likes to get rid of it when on keto. Get yourself some bullion cubes and "salt free" salt and you might find it helps a bit.
    Yeah I woudn't do it if i didn't have to. I dropped some fat and the diet overall makes a considerable difference in the severity of my flares. Imagine trying to press with a nodule the size of half a golf ball right in your armpit. It's not fun, at all.

Andy doesn't cover nutrition really. That's better left to an MD like Jordan or an RD like Santana.

If you miss a workout or need to scale things, you can drop Andy a line on the Facebook group and he can offer suggestions. The programming itself is auto regulating in a sense which may help with overall compliance.
    Sounds good. I"m not on Facebook I'll contact him through his website. Appreciate the info.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by grand666 View Post
    Yeah I woudn't do it if i didn't have to. I dropped some fat and the diet overall makes a considerable difference in the severity of my flares. Imagine trying to press with a nodule the size of half a golf ball right in your armpit. It's not fun, at all.
    Oh man that sounds painful! I hope you find what works for you man. I tried Keto before because I had stomach issues. After eliminating carbs, it helped them a lot.