starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TDEE and Gaining

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    And a few of us will gain weight on about 3kcal a day, in college, running TM. We suck.
    I seem to have this problem too. I don't have actual proof but I feel that my body composition problems in the past were largely a function of not hitting anywhere close to my protein macros even though calories were sub 3k
    Last edited by silachoo; 01-19-2017 at 12:10 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    As someone else posted, using the Katch-Mcardle formula to calculate TDEE is just an ESTIMATE. All the online calculators use some version of this. In the formula is a coefficient the symbolizes daily activity. Its going to be different for everyone. On top of that unless you undergo a water dunk test, you are most likely pretty far off on your fat estimation. Most people dramatically underestimate their body fat %.

A much better way to calculate TDEE is to record every macro that enters your body during a week. Use easy to calculate home made meals for the week. Add up all the calories, divide by 7, compare it to an average weight gain for the week, (or loss) and you have your TDEE. You'll most likely have to keep doing this for a few weeks to fine tune it.

Keep recording your macros and you'll be able to calculate exactly how much weight you will gain or lose over time. Again, over an AVERAGE time. Daily fluctuations mean zilch.

Its an ongoing process. As you gain more muscle mass, as your routine gets harder, you will need more calories to support the added muscle, and then more to support the muscle repair. Thats why TDEE for a lifter under something like a Texas program is so much higher than a runner for instance, even if the body weight is the same. Muscle repair and synthesis is much more caloric intensive than aerobic exercise such as running, especially after the body gets good at it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123