starting strength gym

Thread: How to compete in a powerlifting meet?

Default How to compete in a powerlifting meet?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm a long ways away from having respectable numbers yet but I'm curious as to what the whole process of competing in a powerlifting meet entails. What sort of numbers should I expect to get to to be able to compete? I feel as though it would be a waste of time to compete unless my lifts are up at something like 500 lb squat and 600lb deadlift. Then again, I see people competing with much less. I guess my question is, when should I be looking to compete?

Quote Originally Posted by Polishdude20 View Post
    I'm a long ways away from having respectable numbers yet but I'm curious as to what the whole process of competing in a powerlifting meet entails. What sort of numbers should I expect to get to to be able to compete? I feel as though it would be a waste of time to compete unless my lifts are up at something like 500 lb squat and 600lb deadlift. Then again, I see people competing with much less. I guess my question is, when should I be looking to compete?
    Can you squat and bench an empty 20KG bar? Can you deadlift 60KG? Do you have a free weekend? Then you're good to go. Unless you're one of these people:

Don't certain meets have a requirement for a specific weight class?

Depends on the meet.

Yes, but you probably won't compete in those meets any time soon--those are invite-only meets and other meets where you need a certain qualifying total from other meets.

Otherwise, you can sign up for any meet you want. As long as you have the equipment you need (singlet, belt, etc.) and the equipment meets your particular federation's rules, you can compete. There is no minimum total requirement for most local meets.

Meets for Nationals and Worlds require a minimum qualification total to enter those meets. Otherwise, no.

Also:

Find a federation or several you might want to compete in. Look at the totals in meets in those federations for your age and weight and equipped or raw class. Look also at records in the same.

This will give you an idea of what you have to strive for to win. But even just competing to gain the experience is a valuable thing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Meets for Nationals and Worlds require a minimum qualification total to enter those meets. Otherwise, no.

Also:

Find a federation or several you might want to compete in. Look at the totals in meets in those federations for your age and weight and equipped or raw class. Look also at records in the same.

This will give you an idea of what you have to strive for to win. But even just competing to gain the experience is a valuable thing as well.
    To that end, shoutout to Sean Stangl for Open Powerlifting making this information easily accessible.

Compete as soon as you can and as often as you can. Been only training seriously for about a year and competed in four meets last year. Plan to hit three this year. Joined 100% Raw since there meets were close to me and alot of the lifters are regular Joes's- they have guys that hit 1400-1600 but those are the exceptions not the rule. They do not have any requirements other than a singlet. No sleeves or wraps but you can use a belt and wrist wraps if you like. There meets are also smaller, one of the push pulls had only 22 people in it- we were done by lunch time. Full meets are longer but still the ones I have been in 50-60 people at the most. Everyone has been very supportive, I have learned alot and it awesome seeing things like a 70 year old woman deadlifting in her first meet for example. That sticks with me as much as seeing a guy pull 701 for an opener. And no, my totals are not that big yet but I always have fun and go away fired up to lift more next meet.

On last thing- make sure you pause your bench in training, see that get alot of folks.

starting strength coach development program
    Get a really tight singlet that's low cut and some old school tube socks, KOTJ federation loves the low cut singlets.