starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best way to increase pullups?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnybutfat View Post

The guy at artofmanliness has a workout where you do 12 sets of 1 reps at the beginning, then 6 sets of 2 reps, then 4 sets of 4 reps, and so on until 5 sets of 10 reps.

So my question is, what's the best way to increase my strength to be able pullup at least 20 times?
    I'd favour more volume than the AoM system suggests. Total thirty to forty reps per session.

As to increasing strength to achieve 20 pull ups. Strength is the ability to exert maximum force against a resistance, once. Doing it twenty times is endurance. Greater strength will make this easier, but going beyond ten reps is tiring until you train for it. Twenty reps of anything is tiring.

The best way to do 20 pull ups is to be 5ft 2in.

You just need to get your lifts up. Getting stronger will help the most. Those numbers are still very low. That and just doing chins will be the biggest help. I still can't do very many, but as my lifts went up, it became easier. This is with my weight increasing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    I'd favour more volume than the AoM system suggests. Total thirty to forty reps per session.

As to increasing strength to achieve 20 pull ups. Strength is the ability to exert maximum force against a resistance, once. Doing it twenty times is endurance. Greater strength will make this easier, but going beyond ten reps is tiring until you train for it. Twenty reps of anything is tiring.
    So what do you mean? I should do weighted pullups instead?

I'm confused by your numbers. You said you started out with the empty bar with the press, yet now you do 40lbs. An empty bar is 45lbs. Did you lose strength on the press? Also you said bench press was 20lbs starting out. Also how did you mistake between 90lbs and 175lbs in your deadlift? Can you please be more consistent?
    Are you even counting the weight of the bar itself, or are you just counting the amount of weight you put on the bar? Because the weight of the empty bar still counts just as much as the weight you put on the bar.

In any case you're still pretty weak all around. So get all your numbers up. As far as doing more pull-ups, add in some negative reps. Don't do weighted pull-ups until you can complete at least 3 sets of 10 reps across.

Except as of now he can only do TWO. He won't be able to do many sets of two. Unless he has nothing else to do all day besides sets of singles in the pull up (an assistance exercise) 40 may be more than he needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Except as of now he can only do TWO. He won't be able to do many sets of two. Unless he has nothing else to do all day besides sets of singles in the pull up (an assistance exercise) 40 may be more than he needs.
    Well, maybe. I only restarted doing them because, elbows, hence loads of doubles.

Twelve just seems a bit low.

Seeing as the Op can only do 5 chin ups, it's probably more worth while building up to three sets of ten of those before pursuing pull ups.

Quote Originally Posted by skinnybutfat View Post
    Here are my SS stats anyway:

Squat - 120

Press - 40

Bench Press - 60

Deadlift - 90

Power Clean - 45

Not strong yet.
    I was assuming those are kilos.

Well, maybe. I only restarted doing them because, elbows, hence loads of doubles.

Twelve just seems a bit low.

Seeing as the Op can only do 5 chin ups, it's probably more worth while building up to three sets of ten of those before pursuing pull ups.
    yeah, he should do chin ups. Pull-up singles are not worth much. But really he should focus on training the basic barbell exercises before he worries about chins. At least get your press up to 65lbs for 3 sets of 5 before worring about assistance exercises.
    Last edited by Keith; 02-01-2017 at 02:33 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Are we all being trolled here? I'm finding the same discrepancies & confusion as the rest of you guys...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast