starting strength gym
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Your strength and when do you look strong?

Default Your strength and when do you look strong?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Just curious -- for anyone that got lean after LP, did you look like you lift? Or were you still pretty skinny? I'm wondering what your stats were like when you started to look like you hit the gym regularly.

I don't know man. Dude at the gym the other day looked like he started lifting last week and pulled 495. Also seen bodybuilder looking guys struggle to bench 315. It's hard to say. Having said that, those guys are probably the exception. Generally guys that look strong are.

I agree with Dag. I've seen dudes who could substitute for a bowl of pudding pull 600lbs. Not even cause they were so fat, they were just fat enough. A lot of muscle + a lot of fat = you still dont have abs.

If your goal is abs you actually dont have to lift anything those have those. It's actually easier to get them if your not trying to make progress in strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
    I agree with Dag. I've seen dudes who could substitute for a bowl of pudding pull 600lbs. Not even cause they were so fat, they were just fat enough. A lot of muscle + a lot of fat = you still dont have abs.

If your goal is abs you actually dont have to lift anything those have those. It's actually easier to get them if your not trying to make progress in strength.
    Haha. I think that's what I'm getting at. Before I started my LP I cut down to about 10% BF and had abs, however, I looked like I just went through chemo. My face was a skeleton and I looked pretty sickly -- but I had abs.

I've put on about 50lbs since then while lifting religiously and definitely don't have abs anymore. So was wondering if there was a correlation between strength and whether or not you'll look athletic at 10% BF. Sounds like it's a lot of genetics.

I want to cut down to 10% again some day, but I sure as hell want to make sure I don't look like I did last time. So was wondering if I can gauge that with how strong I am.

Math

It's better to be stronger than you look, than look stronger than you are.

I think Paul Carter is a giant douchebag if you go by his writing, but I agree with much of his training philosophies. One such pearl of wisdom is something along the lines of, any skinny 16 year old can have abs, traps are a sign of true power. Traps are the new abs.

I look strong with a lot of weight in my hands. Otherwise, not so much.

https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net...42&oe=59029E4E

You probably need facebook but thats me after a linear progression about a year ago....i started off at roughly 165 pounds and made my way to 195 at roughly 5'9" 17 ish BF

At the end I was squatting sets of 5 in the 400s
    I deadlifted 600 a couple weeks after the LP
    I benched 320
    I pressed 215

Maybe i dont look too strong i dont know but it felt great i can say that

My two cents

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net...42&oe=59029E4E

You probably need facebook but thats me after a linear progression about a year ago....i started off at roughly 165 pounds and made my way to 195 at roughly 5'9" 17 ish BF

At the end I was squatting sets of 5 in the 400s
    I deadlifted 600 a couple weeks after the LP
    I benched 320
    I pressed 215

Maybe i dont look too strong i dont know but it felt great i can say that

My two cents
    Wow, nice progress. How long was your LP and how old are you? I'm 30 and my LP seems to be going slower than most.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast