starting strength gym

View Poll Results: What grip do you use for your deadlift worksets?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • double overhand

15 10.79%
  • hook grip

54 38.85%
  • mixed grip (left hand under, right hand over)

29 20.86%
  • mixed grip (left hand over, right hand under)

15 10.79%
  • mixed grip (alternate over/under hand)

5 3.60%
  • straps

21 15.11%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadlift Grip Poll

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by omaniphil View Post
    Out of curiosity, what does that look like? Is it just one hand hook gripped, and the other hand supinated/under? Or are both hands hookgrip with one of them over, and one under (is that even possible - probably not, but thought I'd ask).
    I hook both hands with an alternate grip...i hold my right hand over and left hand under on all my sets....when im doing backs offs or SLDLs i just use straps

Have done deadlifts up to 585 pounds at a bodyweight of 165-170 pounds before and used a mixed grip(no straps, no knee wraps, no wrist wraps, no power lifter shoes, used a cheap belt). That was 6 years ago when I use to powerlift more, but I still deadlift +500 pounds with a mixed grip.

I use a mixed grip, usually for all reps out of laziness. Why practice a different grip for light weights -if I want to train grip, I'll train grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    Why practice a different grip for light weights -if I want to train grip, I'll train grip.
    For me, I do DOH on warmups because I don't want to train grip, but I don't want my grip to suck either.

Also because DOH is more comfortable.
    Last edited by Tim K; 02-09-2017 at 08:30 PM.

Default Deadlift Grip Poll

DOH Hook grip on all pulls. i don't anticipate it failing me anytime soon as it feels rock solid at present weights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by poser; 02-09-2017 at 09:54 PM.

DOH until around 375-380. Then I switch to hook grip. My arbitrary goal is to be able to do 405x5 DOH.

I hook because I enjoy pain. Plus, it's stronger than I am. I can't pull more than I can hold hooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    Interesting, I can't recall hearing about anyone else using a mixed hook grip. Does it let you pull the most weight or is it just more comfortable for you?
    I do during competitions, at least for my last pull. I did it without thinking about it on the third pull of my first meet, and I've stuck with it since then.

Yeah, you do see it from time-to-time...I've found it tends to aggravate my bicep on the "under" side so I stay away but that is an individual thing.

Being a bit of a Grip Nerd I've tried just about every grip you can think of...I actually really like mixed thumbless for heavy pulling volume. For my day to day pulling it's normally overhand, although for heavy days I go mixed (my current bar really doesn't reward hooking)...I like the idea of switching mid-session but generally think it's important to do it earlier than when your overhand starts to slip.

starting strength coach development program
    Hook.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast