starting strength gym
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you handle unsolicited coaching?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    I'd argue that a 405 deadlift in most globo gyms will get people to leave you alone (and stare in awe).
    Confirmed. I have a garage gym, but have been working out at an Anytime Fitness since December when I chickened out from the cold. Was warming up with 135 and the trainer came over and told me it would be better to do sumos. I smiled and nodded, and then never heard from him again after I did my workset at 410.

I have a poverty bench though, and still get unsolicited comments on my form. Hoping to rectify that soon.

Quote Originally Posted by CovBloke View Post
    I was in the gym practising deadlifts and a guy proceeds to tell me what I'm doing wrong and what I should do instead. His intentions were good and I'm sure some of his advice was useful too but I want to try to do them exactly as instructed in the book and the videos. What do you say to people like this without coming across as rude and ungrateful?
    Turn up the music in your ear buds so that you can't hear or acknowledge them.

Most of the unsolicited advice I've received has actually been useful, and often involves someone pointing out lumbar flexion at the bottom of my squat.

In the cases where I believe advice is wrong, I usually engage them with an open mind. I once had a staff member, who I had asked to check for lumbar flexion during a heavy set of deadlifts, claim that maintaining lumbar extension in a deadlift should be easy, as the movement doesn't stress them. I patiently explained to him the concept of isometric resistance and moment arms - not sure if it went over his head or not. Most of the staff at my gym are smarter than that, this was a staggering exception, though.

When it comes to offering unsolicited advice, I've only done it two times, and only when I was certain I could help them swiftly and demonstrably, and I approach the situation with care and tact. In both cases, they were grateful.

I have this guy in my radar at my gym who loads up 3 plates on a bar and then what could generously be called high bar quarter squats, probably more like 3/16ths really I really want to say something, but he seems happy and not likely to take advice from a guy still only squatting 215 or so.

Occasionally someone will give me advice, and I take spacediver's approach - listen, acknowledge, consider if it makes sense, and move on politely. Usually I'll say something like "No, I'm actually doing Rippetoe [presses/deads/squats/etc], and they need to set up this way because x/y/z." Demonstrate expertise and people will usually respect your position.

I'm at a gym where I give and receive unsolicited advice all the time. Six or seven guys that work out in the area of the gym where I usually am are all powerlifters. And they are all much stronger than me, so they feel qualified to give advice. I can see whenever any of them are making any errors in form (lumbar rounding on deadlifts, knee cave on squats), so I feel like I can give them advice. We do this to each other all the time.

Sometimes I ignore their advice ("chest up" on squats or "look up"), and sometimes they give me good advice when I'm doing something egregious, like shrugging my shoulders on my squat descent and raising my elbows (going into thoracic flexion, basically--a bad habit I've had for a while).

So, it depends on who is giving the advice. Whenever I've had to work out at a globo gym while traveling, people usually leave me alone.

There is one guy in my gym I harass all the time, though, now that I think about it. He wears gloves to lift.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    I'm at a gym where I give and receive unsolicited advice all the time. Six or seven guys that work out in the area of the gym where I usually am are all powerlifters. And they are all much stronger than me, so they feel qualified to give advice. I can see whenever any of them are making any errors in form (lumbar rounding on deadlifts, knee cave on squats), so I feel like I can give them advice. We do this to each other all the time.
    Yes, if it's reciprocal and everyone knows what the others are trying to do this can be very helpful to all involved. If someone can pull 700 he likely has some good advice on deadlifting. He may not do it EXACTLY like you do but that doesn't discount his potential wisdom.

That's not to say that someone who can only pull 275 has nothing to offer though. Perhaps he's a beginner but he's had good coaching and while still fairly weak due to his newness, he is technically sound.

Then there's the person who is pretty strong but not the strongest, but has spent years busting his or her butt to get to "pretty good." This person, assuming technical correctness on the lifts, has seen a lot and more important, tried a lot. And knows a lot.

So I'd say, listen to the advice, take it if it's solid, discount it if it's not. You never know who might be able to help.

I have a 55-60 year old man telling me I'm not shrugging in my power cleans . . . . that I could "get more out of them" . . . he's done this twice over the years.

He happened to mention he was a high-school strength/football coach back in the day . . . "I know what I'm talking about", etc

#1- I probably do in fact shrug to slight degree; but it's hard to see without slomo;

#2 -I sorta explained no credible coach really ques an active deliberate shrug anymore.

#3- I have so many other problems that are considered "bad":
    -massive head whip;
    -hyperextended back/over extension at the triple extension
    -bar humping
    -and the dreaded bent arms and subsequent power leak.

. . .and that's the best advice you have?

not shrugging is the most obvious thing you can come up with?

He was put off the first time, but managed to do it again (maybe a year later)

Quote Originally Posted by Dag View Post
    ... So I'd say, listen to the advice, take it if it's solid, discount it if it's not. You never know who might be able to help.
    This is solid advice.

There are two young guys at my gym that I've thought about giving unsolicited advice. I've talked to them just a bit casually. They are powerlifting and fairly strong. They seem to be doing a Westside type approach. They squat real wide (wearing chucks) with the bar way too low on their backs and maybe not quite parallel. They sumo deadlift heavy, but do stupid amounts of volume (like 5x5 or more) and drop the bar from the waist. I've seen them squat and DL around 400. With a little direction and a few tips, they'd do quite well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    Pretend not to understand English.
    Say something about the Illuminati.
    Wear headphones and pretend not to hear.
    Cultivate body odor.
    Learn to say in harsh tones "fuck off."

Any other suggestions?
    Tried all of these, but none of them seem to work. Granted the unsolicited advice I typically receive is "put that bar down and pick up the crying baby!"

Home gym problems...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast