starting strength gym
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Cannot chin/pull-up looking for alternative 40yo 310lb just starting barbell presc.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugaaz View Post
    I have no objection to negatives being able to work. My objection is that it is completely insane to recommend it to significantly obese novices. A 40yo 310lb untrained male is not going to get a chin up after doing negatives for a couple weeks. A person in that demographic doing negatives is nothing short of torture. There are demographics that negatives works for, like 20-40yo males that are 250lbs or less. If you're not in that demographic, just do some chin grip pulldowns with chest to bar and increase the weight as you can. In the meantime, lose some bodyweight. When you get to 250lbs or so then do the negatives.
    I agree with this. I have hurt myself more by doing chins than all other lifts combined. I was always a weak, fat kid and lacked the upper body strength needed to do a pull up. Loading such a weak, underdeveloped body with a negative load is asking for injury. The connective tissues cant handle it. At least in my case. This guy needs to get stronger in all planes of movement and lose weight before he starts doing negatives. My 2 cents based on training nobody but myself.

Haven't read the whole thread but im going to be the dick in the room and say to lose 50 pounds and get in shape before you attempt chins. If you really need to pull from above, use the lat pull in the interim.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    Haven't read the whole thread but im going to be the dick in the room and say to lose 50 pounds and get in shape before you attempt chins. If you really need to pull from above, use the lat pull in the interim.
    Others have recommended the same. Lat pulldowns would be good. And I think reverse chins are fine if he can do them yet. If he can't the worst that will happen is he drops faster and doesn't do them until later. They are highly effective in getting one to be able to chin. That said, all I'd do are the main lifts for a good while.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456