starting strength gym
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What's a cool goal to set yourself (cardio/con)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    How about
    Squats 1x @100%RM
    Squats 2x @ 98%
    Squats 3x @97%
    Squats 100x @2% RM
    Squats 200x @1% RM

This way you get intensity, volume, light day AND conditioning WITH THE SAME EXERCISE AND IN THE SAME SESSION!!!

I'm jenious. I should right a book.!!

Quote Originally Posted by kanahan View Post
    Squats 200x @1% RM

I'm genius. I should write a book.!!
    Ending Strength

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    Give it a girls name or the name of some soldier who has died in the past 10 years, and it'll be on the CF main page in no time.
    Greg Glassman and Dave Castro may kill you for leaking their methods of creating WOD's. You've been warned.

Yeah, don't do either of these. Prowler challenge.
    rip himself has recommended cindy many a time. your loss. hard to push a prowler in a squat cage

Quote Originally Posted by poser View Post
    Ive always thought that was a stupid workout. There are certainly less mechanically challenging ways to test your conditioning than to do 30 consecutive C&Js, it intrinsically promotes bad from And it's hell on equipment.
    Maybe you suck at cleans. If you are good and can clean in the mid 250s, then 135 is not heavy enough to fuck up your form. That's like saying "oooh 30 push-ups intrinsically promotes bad form."

Also, you don't need to jerk each rep, just get it it overhead; I press my first 15 and then push press the rest.

Just because you hate crossfit (I do too) doesn't mean there aren't usefully components to bring into your training

Yeah, don't do either of these. Prowler challenge.
    Rip himself: "I like Cindy for starters"

http://startingstrength.com/resource...hp/t-7548.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    Rip himself: "I like Cindy for starters"

http://startingstrength.com/resource...hp/t-7548.html
    That was 10 years ago though. The consensus in the community today seems to be more or less that CF is for little bitches.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    Maybe you suck at cleans. If you are good and can clean in the mid 250s, then 135 is not heavy enough to fuck up your form. That's like saying "oooh 30 push-ups intrinsically promotes bad form."

Also, you don't need to jerk each rep, just get it it overhead; I press my first 15 and then push press the rest.

Just because you hate crossfit (I do too) doesn't mean there aren't usefully components to bring into your training
    At some point, it's the same as slinging battle rope around. -sure it gets your heart rate up, but maybe there's a better, more applicable way to achieve the same end?

I don't necessarily "hate" Crossfit, but I've never thought that Oly lifting for conditioning purposes was very smart, but I do see your point: if you have a 300#+ C&J, 135 is going to be a really light weight and the general problem at most Cfit boxes is that people will attempt 135# when it is in fact not a light weight for them. Still though, for purposes of conditioning, rowing, assault bike, burpees, KB swings, prowler etc are much less complex and mechanically challenging movements that are going to achieve the same anaerobic end.

but I do see your point: if you have a 300#+ C&J, 135 is going to be a really light weight.
    So light, that you will have to moderate the force of hip and knee extension during the second pull....lest you throw the bar.

It's basically the barbell equivalent of fast jogging.

That's why the airdyne is so great. Resistance increases tremendously as you increase "pedaling power".

starting strength coach development program
    , rowing, assault bike, burpees, KB swings, prowler etc are much less complex and mechanically challenging movements that are going to achieve the same anaerobic end.
    sure. but what if you don't have a rower, bike, prowler, kettlebell, etc? you already have a barbell and you can easily get 135 up and over your head a few dozen times without injuring yourself.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast