starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Different bar sizes/weights?

Default Different bar sizes/weights?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So my gym has a couple of different barbell varieties. The oly bars are a bit thinner, but I'd always assumed they were the same weight. Then I heard one of the trainers tell a client that the squat bars were 55, the oly bars 45, which I didn't quite believe. But I measured (visually) the bars against each other, and they're different lengths too. Any thoughts, based on the pic, as to what I'm working with here; are they likely the same weight, but different proportions, and if not, is the squat bar over 45 or the oly bar under 45?

The other end of the bars are flush with one another; this is the total length difference between the two.

There are 25kg squat bars, notable the Texas Squat Bar from TSS. There's also the Okie Squat Bar and the Bulldog Bench Bar that are also 25kg and then there's the Bulldog Squat bar at 30kg.

Just weigh them.

Quote Originally Posted by keltor View Post
    There are 25kg squat bars, notable the Texas Squat Bar from TSS. There's also the Okie Squat Bar and the Bulldog Bench Bar that are also 25kg and then there's the Bulldog Squat bar at 30kg.
    Yep. The trainer may be correct. Must be a fairly decent gym if they're willing to spend the money on a dedicated squat bar if that's what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dag View Post
    Yep. The trainer may be correct. Must be a fairly decent gym if they're willing to spend the money on a dedicated squat bar if that's what it is.
    Well, that's the thing; up until a month or two ago, all the bars, except the two oly bars, were identical to that squat bar. Then they replaced all but two with those "hybrid" bars (thicker than oly bar, with deeper knurling, but no center knurling) and the remaining two have become the squat bars by default (since that's mostly what people want them for, though I see one on a bench from time to time). I find it hard to believe that any gym would go through that length of time with almost all 55lb bars...

And I would weigh one, except the only scale is down a non-linear staircase, in a locker room with multiple turns. I think people would find that a very odd thing to do, though I suppose I could ask if someone from the staff would do it at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyP View Post
    And I would weigh one, except the only scale is down a non-linear staircase, in a locker room with multiple turns. I think people would find that a very odd thing to do
    I've done plenty of things that people consider very odd, but if you don't want to do that, just bring along a small scale in your gym bag one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    I've done plenty of things that people consider very odd, but if you don't want to do that, just bring along a small scale in your gym bag one day.
    Given the layout of the gym, my concern is about being able to do that safely (for people and light fixtures) as much as anything. Not a bad idea about the scale, though.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyP View Post
    And I would weigh one, except the only scale is down a non-linear staircase, in a locker room with multiple turns. I think people would find that a very odd thing to do, though I suppose I could ask if someone from the staff would do it at some point.
    I carried a curl bar into the locker room once at the YMCA to weight it. 25 lbs. Got some funny looks, but who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    I carried a curl bar into the locker room once at the YMCA to weight it. 25 lbs. Got some funny looks, but who cares?
    Again, not nearly as many potential safety issues; the curl bar is half the length and can maneuver easily past people and around corners.

First thing I'm going to do is measure circumference of the oly bar. It's a York (only bar type in gym I can find brand name on) and I can see which product on its website this one matches (men's or women's bar). If it's a women's oly bar, case closed.

starting strength coach development program
    I lift at work, a school with a small weight room, cardio and weight machines,
    and 2 bars and plates and a rack,
    one bar weighs 46.3#,
    the other 39.8,
    really messed me up a few times switching between bars before I weighed them and knew,
    now I micro load 2s and 3s by choice of bar.
    plate math is fun

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast