starting strength gym
Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Wendler Book

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    If you do not have competitive aspirations especially in a strength sport you likely will never exhaust intermediate style programming. Just ask Rippetoe. Advanced competitive lifters are such a small percentage of the population that anybody else lifting weights will never truly need advanced programming. 5/3/1 is a good program for a recreational lifter(even a powerlifter)but it is so far from optimal that if you do have the goal of competing and being a national level lifter than by using that program you are so far off the mark from optimal that it is ridiculous that you wouldn't seek out a much better program from a good Coach.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Yeah, the coding bit. My toolbox is lacking. I'm basically trying to build a house with a set of pliers and screwdriver.
    This is how programming is now unless you're dealing with very low level systems. You have a continuum of choices from "best tool for the job" to "tool I'm most familiar with" and it can get rather frustrating to determine which is better than the other.

Hell, the huge amount of available tools out there is largely due to the fact that people were too lazy to learn something new to do something properly. So they made an interface that let them use their "pliers and screwdriver" to build a ton of stuff. (ex: https://electron.atom.io/)

I'll unload a wall of "problem statement" and pseudo-code at some point.

###

Oh, also, a small part of my approach relies on an objective input values for "fatigue" and "technical breakdown" (I'm not using RPEs).

Basically if you have a rep with a value outside bounds ( if barSpeed < xx meters/sec || (|force left side - force right side| > XX newtons)), you stop your set. I can think of many ways to get such a value, but the current reality is that the hardware to get such a value is prohibitively expensive. (IOW: my software solution relies on fantasy hardware).
    2 accelerometers, a phone, and some tolerance for technique deviations cannot possibly be that expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    If you do not have competitive aspirations especially in a strength sport you likely will never exhaust intermediate style programming. Just ask Rippetoe. Advanced competitive lifters are such a small percentage of the population that anybody else lifting weights will never truly need advanced programming.
    I would say, yes: most all competitors would be (will be soon) 'advanced'.

I would say, no: many many "non competitive" lifters are going to pass 'intermediate' status (weekly adaption). And would need 'advance programming. Especially older folks.

...5/3/1 is a good program for a recreational lifter...
    you sorta just said in the first sentence a 'non competitor/rec.lifter won't exhaust intermediate programming.

5/3/1/deload is sort of a monthly template thing, no?

Quote Originally Posted by king of the jews View Post
    doo the meat, finger. Doo the meat.
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    I would say, yes: most all competitors would be (will be soon) 'advanced'.

I would say, no: many many "non competitive" lifters are going to pass 'intermediate' status (weekly adaption). And would need 'advance programming. Especially older folks.

you sorta just said in the first sentence a 'non competitor/rec.lifter won't exhaust intermediate programming.

5/3/1/deload is sort of a monthly template thing, no?
    did you read Jordans' article...the SRA on 5/3/1 is really a weekly progression...Wendler has said as such himself

Quote Originally Posted by shib View Post
    2 accelerometers, a phone, and some tolerance for technique deviations cannot possibly be that expensive.
    Here's some old open-source code for a "openbarbell" device (linear position transducer): GitHub - seminolemuscle/V0.24: This folder will contain all files needed to create an OpenBarbell unit.

My local gym (run by a smart, former NFL linebacker) has one of these: GymAware.

I'd use barspeeds everywhere...to calculate intraset/interset fatique, "prior 48-hour recovery quality", etc.

The "technical breakdown" bit is tricky. In a perfect world, I'd want 2-force plates, which would give me left-right deviation (not perfect, but this would be my "technical breakdown" proxy).

My local gym (run by a smart, former NFL linebacker) has one of these: GymAware.

I'd use barspeeds everywhere...to calculate intraset/interset fatique, "prior 48-hour recovery quality".
    This is too much tech for Meshuggah. He's going to call you a scam artist after he buys and then re-sells your book.

Edit: Also, it seems like accelerometers are too noisy for consistent bar speed measurement (e.g. push band)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    did you read Jordans' article...the SRA on 5/3/1 is really a weekly progression...Wendler has said as such himself
    Jordan's article was a little TL;DR-ish . I skimmed thru, mostly looking at the charts/data.

I don't get the deload week in 5/3/1 then, unless Wendler got rid of that in the later 'revisions'.
    You need a whole week of "deload"? Every fourth week?

I really don't think the intermediate phase (as defined by SS: weekly adaption) should last that long for non-competitive lifter.
    (unless interruptions in training, injuries, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    This is too much tech for Meshuggah. He's going to call you a scam artist after he buys and then re-sells your book.

Edit: Also, it seems like accelerometers are too noisy for consistent bar speed measurement (e.g. push band)
    To be fair to Shug, it's a pretty stupid project. Though, I could see D1 S&C coaches using it.

Yeah, feedback from dudes on this site (& from Mike T) is that accelerometers aren't very reliable.

starting strength coach development program
    Here's some old open-source code for a "openbarbell" device (linear position transducer): GitHub - seminolemuscle/V0.24: This folder will contain all files needed to create an OpenBarbell unit.
    Most of that repo is STL files which are just the stuff for the 3d printer to spit out.

The actual codebase is less than 400 lines and almost half that is just managing the display.

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a joke, but we're getting into "weekend or two project" territory here.

I'd use barspeeds everywhere...to calculate intraset/interset fatique, "prior 48-hour recovery quality", etc.

The "technical breakdown" bit is tricky. In a perfect world, I'd want 2-force plates, which would give me left-right deviation (not perfect, but this would be my "technical breakdown" proxy).
    Very cool, I honestly think that a pair of accelerometers might be able to paint a better technique picture than force plates. If you attach both to the ends of the barbell you can create a very rough barbell position (and slope) delta that would probably be a better measure of technique than someone shifting their weight around on a given rep. Additionally you get information about fatigue based on bar speed instead of force output to the floor, not sure if this is better, but I know Mike Tusshchhererrrrino considers that a valuable metric when it comes to determining RPE.

Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast