starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder pain during squats

Default Shoulder pain during squats

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Over the last 3-5 workouts I've had some shoulder pain from the squats. I squat with an OPB, and I've been placing my ring finger over the mark for width (same place for bench). I tried my middle finger on the mark, & then yesterday I used my index finger for the third set.

I tried the shoulder stretching several times, seems like that'll have to become a regular thing.

The pain was so bad I think it interfered with my bench. To stretch it I grabbed a door frame in my hand, then stretched the left arm across my chest & back, that finally made the pain go away for the most part....then I got into my bench warm ups, & while I was down there I pulled my body towards the bar, & I noticed a little pain was still inside the shoulder - not shock (no slight nausea), but certainly not a good feeling.

I think the bar is a little high, probably about 1.5 bar-widths- I've been placing the bar on that little bone shelf as that's what's seemed the most comfortable & secure until now.

here's yesterday's log entry if that's of any use

FacePalm's Log

Just a novice doing my own LP, but I've been struggling with a similar problem. I used to cock my wrists inward towards my head, in an effort to get all my fingers around the bar, and what helped initially was to adopt a grip like one in Figure 2-21 on pg. 26 of the book, or like Mr. Rippetoe uses in the videos where he squats, with the wrists kept straight and the inner fingers not fully wrapped around the bar.

This worked for a little while, and the bar also felt much more stable on my back, but I was still having other problems, and I realized just this past week that (as in your case), the bar was still too high on the back. I tried forcing it down lower, and as a result I lost all stability, and the pain returned.

I came here intending the get help on the Coaches' forum, when I ran across this article on the main page:

Identifying and Correcting Thoracic Spinal Flexion in the Squat | Bill Hannon

I won't get a chance to experiment till Sunday, but I suspect that the solution to my problem, and quite possibly to your problem as well, can be found therein.
    Last edited by Norton; 03-18-2017 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Minor typos

Also, I took a quick look at some of the squat videos in your log, and I'm pretty sure your gaze is way too high. Maybe lowering the bar would help with that...

Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    Just a novice doing my own LP, but I've been struggling with a similar problem. I used to cock my wrists inward towards my head, in an effort to get all my fingers around the bar, and what helped initially was to adopt a grip like one in Figure 2-21 on pg. 26 of the book, or like Mr. Rippetoe uses in the videos where he squats, with the wrists kept straight and the inner fingers not fully wrapped around the bar.

This worked for a little while, and the bar also felt much more stable on my back, but I was still having other problems, and I realized just this past week that (as in your case), the bar was still too high on the back. I tried forcing it down lower, and as a result I lost all stability, and the pain returned.

I came here intending the get help on the Coaches' forum, when I ran across this article on the main page:

Identifying and Correcting Thoracic Spinal Flexion in the Squat | Bill Hannon

I won't get a chance to experiment till Sunday, but I suspect that the solution to my problem, and quite possibly to your problem as well, can be found therein.
    Thanks for the references - I saw that article earlier and I cracked my SS book to see that too. I'm going to experiment with that. I saw another video linked here a day or 2 ago (think it was Ed Coan @ ST gym where he showed a guy to tighten his back more............)

I try to keep a neutral neck & look down consciously but I notice my neck raising all the time in my vids when I get 1/2 or so up.

I happened to come across this...

Squatter's Shoulder: The Cause & The Cure | T Nation

Coach Leah told me, in your warm up sets, start out by placing your hands as far apart as they need to be to not bother your shoulders. Even way out by the plates. Focus on squeezing your scapulea/shoulder blades in hard and tight. As you work through your warm up sets your shoulders loosen up and you will be able to gradually bring your hands closer together. By the time you are doing your work sets all the slack is out and your hands will be in the right place. Don't force them. Feel your way into it.

Sometimes I go in under the bar with hands pretty wide, squeeze my scapulae and get bar position, then inch my hands closer, to where they feel right, then keep them there and come out from under to see where I am on the bar.

I need to figure this out - the left one is hurting so bad after the first work set, it was even hurting after my warmup @ 225. I can only go ~1.5" wider but then my hands are so close to the J hooks I'm afraid they'd get pinched. I just took 800mg of ibuprofen & I'm gonna go try set 2 after a 12 minute rest.

What's the diameter of the bar you're using? I was getting some shoulder and elbow pain when squatting (probably stemming from other stuff) but today it seemed to stop. The difference? Up until today I was using a 32mm diameter bar, but the gym got some better stuff and today I used a 28mm bar. Felt way better. Not sure if that was what made the difference, but worth considering.

starting strength coach development program
    It's an Ohio Power Bar, 29mm, I don't think that's it. I'm leaning more towards diet, inflammation, and recent weight gain, but I'm really in the dark.

This is officially crippling pain - I waited ~12+ minutes, probably close to 15, and didn't feel like going for 5 so I threw on 30# more to 380 to see if I could hit it. I didn't. My left shoulder (right is hardly noticeable, if at all) felt so bad, I felt a little sick right away, and felt like my shoulder should go in a sling. I sat on my stairs and tried to find a comfortable position for it, went upstairs and laid on the floor for ~10 minutes before it stopped hurting.

It's almost like the bone is breaking or being stressed, or something like that. Why in the hell would I get so close to what I consider shock.

Here's my first set of 5 @ 350# ((lifetime pr I'm sure))
    20170331 181004 001 - YouTube

and my failed single @ 380#
    20170331 183122 001 - YouTube

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast