starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best places to train in Chicago?

Default Best places to train in Chicago?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'll very likely be moving there this summer. I know there are a few SSCs in the area, but I don't need any motherfucker telling me where to point my nipples. Aside from location (I'm not 100% sure where I'll be) I want somewhere with a great training atmosphere, or at least the potential for one. If they have powerlifting toys that would be a big plus as well.

Please respond

Lance's Gym You might even run into Ed Coan.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Lance's Gym You might even run into Ed Coan.
    Saturday: 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
    Sunday: 9:00 am - 1:00 pm

Shitty hours

Where in Chicago? Try Chicagopowerlifting.com
    Last edited by Jeff_S; 03-19-2017 at 06:03 PM.

B&W. There are some SSC there but I don't think they'll be telling you to point your nipples down unless you ask them to cue or coach you.

There's a place up around 3800 Broadway (northeast part of Lakeview) called Quads; never been but have seen pics and it looks like it has pretty serious lifting gear (and a lot of guys on a lot of steroids).

There's also Chicago Fitness Center on Lincoln (East Lakeview). They do a lot of MMA classes there and it has that "old fieldhouse" feel. Very cheap, too, but they are the only gym I've been in here that actually has chalk.

If you'll be in the Loop, try Lakeshore Sport & Fitness. I'm at their Lincoln Park location because my wife plays tennis there and they have a lot of family stuff, but the one downtown has better lifting stuff. Bumper plates, bunch of platforms (and the country's tallest climbing wall, apparently, for whatever that is worth).

Otherwise maybe look for a Crossfit gym that has open gym hours that work for you? Once you know location, I can give you some other ideas (including which to skip).

I live in Chicago (in Lincoln Park\Lakeview). here is a breakdown:

#1 Conviction Fitness. Northside of the city (easy 10 minute drive from Lincoln Park). Cheap and very effective. Good weekday hours. So So weekend hours. 2 SSCs regularly train themselves & clients there. This is where I go A few others on this forum do as well. NO FRILLs though...people come here to lift and spend time with other lifters.... Think of this more as a shared/communal basement gym than a commercial gym you pay money for. They also host a lot of powerlifting meets. And it has a decent amount of Olympic lifters too.

Also #1 Chicago Strength & Conditioning: An SSC gym. Close drive just north of the city...further than B&W. TOP NOTCH equipment. More expensive, but that is because EVERY rep is coached by an SSC....so you get what you pay for.

Other options:

Quads Gym - In boystown part of lakeview. Average price, cheaper then a nice globo gym. Better hours than B&W. A BROS\building building gym all the way. But, they have decent equipment and lots of it, however only 1 DL platform. I go here on a day pass if I can't get to B&W before close on a Sunday. If you want body building...this is the place to be for sure. They also have a dexa scan place on-site..something my fat ass needs...

Evolution fitness - more expensive, on the north side. 24 hour access (I think). and lots of beautiful rogue equipment. Others on the forum lift there. Haven't been, but I hear great thing. Just a bit too far for me and I'm on a budget right now.

If your in the South Side - Lance's gym...haven't been, but I have read good reviews on line.

there are tons of commercial gyms, but most are either expensive or have just really shitty bars. But even the new xsport right near me has 3 real (Legend) squat racks...and is not too badly priced at $50 a month (still way more than B&W though). Although, there is a lot of silly BS going on in the gym....not bad shit...just shit that belongs in that E&P thread....dudes benching in the smith machine with lifting straps.....that kind of shit.

Let us know where you end up.

Now that you mention Chicago S&C, another option is the Crossfit place on the 2200 block of N Clyborne. That's where Dave used to train people before opening his own gym (where I worked with him) and even during Crossfit classes there was plenty of space to be doing other training. I know because I'd go there and work with him and there would be classes going on at the same time.

starting strength coach development program
    Where are you planning on living (roughly)? There are a lot of good gyms, but some of them can be pretty far depending on where you are living.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast