starting strength gym

Thread: Depth check

Default Depth check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Guys, looking for another set of eyes on this set. I feel I might be high on a few. Been dealing with slight back pain so I'm trying to cut depth at the limit. This is a top set of 365x5. Appreciate your input, and best to mute it to avoid my huffing noises.

It's in portrait mode to piss off the SSC's. (Actually, no room for a wider angle at this location)

Mar 21st squat 365x5 - YouTube

3 and 4 looked a hair high when I slowed down and paused the video, the others just made it. Youtube has a nice function where you can slow down to 1/4 speed (click the gear icon).

How is cutting depth going to help with the back pain? Your back is held rigid throughout each rep, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post
    3 and 4 looked a hair high when I slowed down and paused the video, the others just made it. Youtube has a nice function where you can slow down to 1/4 speed (click the gear icon).

How is cutting depth going to help with the back pain? Your back is held rigid throughout each rep, right?
    Thanks for checking it out.

Back is definitely rigid, but what's probably happening that at near-max weights, I'm not able to stay as strong in the trunk and I find myself losing the bar forward on the ascent.

I also had a tendency in the past to overextend the lumbar if I went too low. Point taken, though - depth shouldn't be sacrificed for added weight. In this case, I'm hoping the depth is sufficient for the max attempts at the strengthlifting meet in 2 weeks.

I know that depth is still a highly subjective issue ( although it really is a matter of simple Geometry), it's hard for me to rule these out as full ROM squats. I don't see any evidence showing that your hip crease is above the top of the knee. For general strength purposes. Now, for a meet, you may want to work on a suitable competition depth, which would probably be at least 1/2 inch lower on some of these.

Looks like you're just at parallel if not a hair below parallel on these. USPA judges: one red light. USAPL judges, 2-3 red lights.

Looked dead on to me.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks, folks. For certainty, I'll look to add a half inch of depth.