starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Competitive lifters, how do you manage your weight?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
    What kind of body fat percentages are you guys talking about starting with here? It makes all the difference but I don't see anybody reporting it.
    Take a hypothetical competitive powerlifter who is consistently competing in a single weight class and raising his or her total/wilks over time. What do you think has to happen to body composition over time to stay the same weight class and continue to get stronger and become more competitive at higher levels? (Excluding super heavies)

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWho View Post
    What kind of body fat percentages are you guys talking about starting with here? It makes all the difference but I don't see anybody reporting it.
    I think I was down around 15-17% when I did the 200 to 181 water cut; I only got 1289 at the meet but I was probably good for 1300 if I had planned my attempts better.

I think the leanest I've ever been was like 12% back when I was a skinny Marine who ran and crossfitted a lot. I've never really been below 15% since I started lifting, to my own detriment (kinda fatfucked myself up to 220). I'm hoping to actually do that this year, starting at a "real" weight in the low 180s, and working my way back up slowly to see of I can get close to 200 at under 15%. Oh, and I'm 5' 7".

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by kanahan View Post
    I have no plans to compete in the foreseeable future but just being curious here. Wouldn't it be easier to train year round a few pounds *below* the limit weight, and eat a little more for a couple weeks before the meet so that you get a nice boost in performance from the extra cals just when you need it?
    I'm not confident there is much of a performance boost from this. Why wouldn't you want the calories when you are actually in a developmental phase of your training, with high volume? Before a meet, intensity goes up, volume goes down. And then the week of the meet, volume goes WAY down.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123