starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: completely bombing, then getting reps next workout

Default completely bombing, then getting reps next workout

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I was a fat/borderline obese guy coming into this. Reading "A Clarification" it says that you want to be around 20% BF to facilitate the best gains and adding BW. I started out 6'4" 275 about 30%BF. Since the beginning of the year I have cut to 261 27% BF and my last couple bench workouts look like

190 lbs
    reps 5,4,2

following workout

same weight 5,5,5

yesterday bump it up 5 lbs

5,3,2.5 (son grabbed the bar at the top)

if I get my fives Sunday, should i not be concerned? I guess what I am asking is there any signifigance to how you are failing/getting reps?

This seems to only happen on bench. I've been microloading press at 1.25 lbs every workout and will be looking at 121.25 tomorrow.

I want to get to about 245-250 which should put me at about 20% BF and then look at a sensible caloric surplus. Being conservative because I am diabetic.

I would suggest microloading your bench, try 2.5lbs jumps, as it appears you can no longer make 5lb jumps.

Quote Originally Posted by ad3000 View Post
    I would suggest microloading your bench, try 2.5lbs jumps, as it appears you can no longer make 5lb jumps.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by ad3000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cgeorg View Post
    This.

Thanks.. will try 2.5 lb jump

Am I correct in thinking I need to get down to 20%ish body fat to make best use of a caloric surplus? Reading "a clarification" it looks like nutrient partitioning is sub optimal if you are much fatter than that..

Cutting weight on LP is probably keeping you from recovering properly. Why not maintain your weight and get your lifts up? It'll be an easier cut and you won't be wasting your workouts.

Need to lose some body fat for health reasons, trying to get off this Diabetes drug.

Quote Originally Posted by DieselBro View Post
    Need to lose some body fat for health reasons, trying to get off this Diabetes drug.
    That's a hell of a good reason to want to drop some weight. Have you tried asking in the Nutrition forum for advice on your situation?

I know there is a lot of research that has come out the last few years about curing type 2 diabetes with a starvation diet. I don't know how to apply that research or if it's necessary to go to such a length to get the same results.
    Last edited by Praetorian; 03-22-2017 at 03:08 PM.

I used to think it was all about keto, but since i started lifting heavy, and follow a bodybuilding "bro science" diet... lots of chicken/eggs broccoli brown rice steel cut oats, and berries/apples my numbers have plummeted cholestoral was down and triglycerides were only marginally high, my A1C (3 month average of blood glucose levels) is borderline normal.

Quote Originally Posted by DieselBro View Post
    I used to think it was all about keto, but since i started lifting heavy, and follow a bodybuilding "bro science" diet... lots of chicken/eggs broccoli brown rice steel cut oats, and berries/apples my numbers have plummeted cholestoral was down and triglycerides were only marginally high, my A1C (3 month average of blood glucose levels) is borderline normal.
    Congratulations on the progress! I have a couple of diabetic friends who can't be bothered to work out or learn to cook, no matter how much I try to motivate them.

starting strength coach development program
    I bombed out again at 190. I work out with my son, I was doing 90 lbs more than him to keep plate math easy. He is able to make jumps easier/more often than I. I reset down to 70 lbs more than him and will work back up. After reviewing video, some form issues crept up on me @190. elbows flaring out, losing tightness etc.. 170 seems workable for now, with good form.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast