starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikola from Serbia

Default Nikola from Serbia

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello everybody!

I wanted to share my progress with you and also ask about my form and programming.

I'm 32 years old and I've been playing sports all my life but nothing too seriously. I went to gym for a few months when I was in high school but back then I didn't know what I was doing and I was a skinny kid 188 cm (6'2") and 68 kg (150 lbs) who could bench press 70 kg (155 lbs). Since then I just played sports and did some body weight exercises and recently I've been doing Insanity workout program but modified so that I do it three times a week. It gave me good conditioning and helped me regulate my weight which was around 90 kg (200 lbs) before I started Starting Strength.

When I entered a gym about a month ago my ego needed to test itself so I managed to squat 100 kg (220 lbs), bench press 80 (175) and I deadlifted 110 kg (243 lbs).

I started the program just doing these three exercises (SQ 70 kg, BP 60 kg, DL 80 kg) for a week and adding 5 kg to the bar each workout and I added overhead press after the first week and a half (at 35 kg).

I hit the first wall on 90 kg squat and it was a form failure because my sets were like this 5, 2, 5 and next time I hit 5, 4, 5. I made sure to make at least 7 minute breaks and focus on hip drive and it helped to get me back on track and I lowered my jumps to 2.5 kg and everything went smoothly from there. I feel that my form is not that good, though so I would appreciate any advice! Here is a video of my last training. It's 102.5 kg. First set.
    P.S. My shoes are one size bigger than my foot and sometimes it appears that I'm lifting my toes when I'm actually not doing it.

I raised my deadlift 5 kg every session until I hit 110 kg and that is the first time I felt my lower back arching so I decided to go 2.5 kg and also I started alternating deadlifts with pull-ups. I cannot yet do strict pull-ups so I'm focusing on eccentric and doing some lat pull-downs. So, now my training alternates between A: Squat, Bench Press, Deadlift and B: Squat, Overhead Press, Pull-ups+Lat Pull-downs.

Last session I recorded my deadlifts for the first time and I was very disappointed with my form. My upper back is flexing too much and I didn't realize it at all. Also, I tried focusing on lifting the bar with my quads first but since my starting back angle is almost horizontal I think I started lifting it more with my upper back and therefore arching it (if it makes sense what I'm trying to say). Anyway, I had no idea deadlifts are so exhausting. By the time I'm on my fourth rep I'm just fighting for focus because I'm so exhausted and short of breath. In my video I'm lifting 115 kg. Now, I need advice on my set-up and back angle. I was thinking of dropping my hips a little because it feels that it would help me straighten my back more and maybe also activate my quads in the bottom part of the lift. Am I wrong? Should I back off a few kg until my form is better? I would really love to hear your thoughts about my anthropometry if you can see it from my videos. Thanks in advance!

My bench press also feels problematic and first time I stalled is on 77.5 kg and it was 5, 5, 4. Next time I did it but on lest reps I was twisting my torso and pressing more with my left arm. I'm still making 2.5 kg jumps on overhead and bench and I'm thinking of building some microplates but I'm still lazy to do it and 2.5 kg jumps still work for me. Today I'll be doing overhead press with 47.5 kg.

So, this is a kind of recap of my first month in the gym. I added 32.5 kg (71.7 lbs) on my squat, 35 kg (77.2 lbs) on my deadlift, 17.75 kg (39.2 lbs) on my bench press and 10 kg (22 lbs) on my overhead press. Take into consideration that I may have started with inappropriate weight for my strength. I also gained 5 kg of body weight since I used gaining strength as an excuse to eat like a pig.

I hope you guys will give me some good advice and I'll make sure to post my results at least every couple of weeks. Say hello to Rip for me!
    Last edited by Shporet; 03-24-2017 at 03:03 PM.

Since my Topic was transferred to this section I will now add my info.

Sex: Robot
    Weight: 97 kg
    Squat: 3x5x105 kg (231.5 lbs)
    Bench: 3x5x82.5 kg (181.9)
    Deadlift: 5x115 kg (253.5)
    Press: 3x5x47.5 kg (104.7)
    Chin-ups: Currently 5 reps max

Played a lot of volleyball in my life but not in a serious environment. Prior to SS which I've been doing for a month and a half I've been doing various body-weight types of training.

Lost 10 kg in 4 months then after starting to go to gym I gained 7 kg in just over a month because I was eating like a pig but now I'm trying to cut some calories. The last couple of days my body-weight has been stable at 97 kg.

I'm doing SS because I want to improve my base strength and after going through the novice stage I want to focus maybe on building up my power output but I'm still not sure about it. I'm just having fun getting stronger.

Cheers guys!

De si, bre?

Cool handle. My nana had a shporet and made many bureks in it.

I suggest you start a training log in the aptly named "Training Logs" section to track your progress. People can then troll... er.. post suggestions there. This section is usually for specific training inquiries, or to find out what Cody thinks about belts. Dip belts, squat belts, deadlifting belts, belt stew, belts 'n potatoes , etc.

With respect to your deadlift, I think you are not squeezing up prior to initiating the pull thus causing other issues. Review the pulling-from-the-floor sticky somewhere on this forum or in the Good Book.

I have found that SS helped with my volleyball game, especially some recurring back pain. Good luck!

Also, your squat is about 5cm high. You'll probably have to deload to a weight that you can bury them and work up from there. There is also virtually no hip drive on your ascent. You may have to lean over a bit more to allow that to happen. Post a form check in the Technique section, or better yet in the coaches Q&A and they'll sort you out. Be sure to read the how-to-film sticky, or be forever shunned.

Thank you for your suggestions and advice! I have a very strong guy in my gym who is 23 years old and has a total of well over 800 kg and he also pointed out that my squat is not deep enough so I backed up from 105 to 100 and tried going deeper but failed the first time and then failed on 105 after being successful at 102.5. I strained my quadriceps in the process. Probably should have started going deeper with much lower weight. Now I'm going to let it rest by doing Starr's 3x25 and I'll try to use that time to find and learn correct form for me and I'll upload my videos to form check. Until then, here is my last set of five:

And also here is the newest video of me deadlifting but the video is cut short because I didn't have storage space.

Pozdrav!
    Last edited by Shporet; 04-05-2017 at 10:00 AM.

On your deadlift, look at your arms. See how they aren't pointing straight at the ground? You need to shift your weight onto your heels before beginning the lift. Your starting position is affecting your end position (super flexed lower back, unclenched abs) because it forces your lower back to do more work. Get your weight on your heels and focus on tilting your pelvis up to your chest as you start your lockout.

Quote Originally Posted by robinseh View Post
    On your deadlift, look at your arms. See how they aren't pointing straight at the ground? You need to shift your weight onto your heels before beginning the lift. Your starting position is affecting your end position (super flexed lower back, unclenched abs) because it forces your lower back to do more work. Get your weight on your heels and focus on tilting your pelvis up to your chest as you start your lockout.
    No. We want weight over midfoot not heels. We want the arms angled backwards because the bar doesn't break off of the ground until it is in line with the scapulas over midfoot.

He needs to squeeze his chest up more without dropping his hips.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    No. We want weight over midfoot not heels. We want the arms angled backwards because the bar doesn't break off of the ground until it is in line with the scapulas over midfoot.

He needs to squeeze his chest up more without dropping his hips.
    Bingo.

I guess robinseh came to the wrong place...

Thank you for advice!
    I try to lift my chest up as much as I can but it won't go further. I guess I will have to try more. I'm satisfied with the second video's deadlift form for the time being, I'll just work on keeping it straight during the whole movement.

It seems that press helped with my shoulder problems in volleyball. Last time I played five sets and I felt really stable in my shoulders but maybe I'm just excited to feel SS benefits so I'm fooling myself...

starting strength coach development program
    Squeezing the chest up does not equal 'lifting the chest'. Think about pointing your chest to the wall while not dropping your hips.

Greg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast