starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the recommendation on dip belts these days

Default What's the recommendation on dip belts these days

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm thinking of getting one but I'm finding old links on this site from 2009 to $75 ones.

I'd like something cheaper (as usual) but fairly decent quality (of course). I also saw some suggestions about just wrapping chains around yourself, trying to evaluate how stupid that might be.

Also, why did I think we had an Equipment subforum? I guess not huh.

Bonus question: when you start adding weight to dips, I'm guessing you don't just start by putting a 2.5 lb in your pocket, right? Seems like people start with 25 lbs generally?

This IS the equipment forum, and I'm the equipment forum moderator.

The "good" belts would be the likes of Spud Inc and Pioneer for ~$60 and ~$55.

Amazon.com : Spud Black Dip Belt with Chain and 2 Clips for Weightlifting, Strength Training, Bodybuilding Crossfit : Sports & Outdoors
    https://generalleathercraft.com/prod...lt-by-pioneer/

If you're truly on a budget, the nylon belts on Amazon are all about the same. If you're planning on putting some real weight on the belt, consider getting one of the first two. You wouldn't be happy with a cheap one breaking mid-rep.

I have a Spud dip belt. With multiple 45s and a large ass, it doesn't slip off. I bought a couple of heavy grade carabiners to hold it together at the waist. It is well made and will serve me well for many years.

I started with weights in my pockets. When I got to ~20lbs, it became cumbersome.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    bought a couple of heavy grade carabiners to hold it together at the waist.
    Thanks guys. Yeah wow, I didn't realize they're open in the front generally? Seems like it'd be a bitch to get up on the bars with it slipping down. Guess I'd have to try it and see but maybe I'll get some carabiners.

I picked up my grizzly belt in 2002 from a local store, and it remains solid over constant use up until present day. Loaded upwards of 100lb on it many times. It's beautifully worn, and nice and flexible compared to the stiff brand new ones.

I have a Spud Inc dip belt as well. Really like it - it's comfortable due to the big thick back section, though I've never used it with any more than about 45-50lbs. Mine is the chainless model (just straps).

Another vote for the Spud belt. Even with it being open in the front there's no danger of it falling of if you've been doing your squats and deadlifts.

$10 link chain + carabiner. Works perfectly fine even with 90+ lbs. Hurts at first, but you'll get used to it. It just looks much cooler than those dip belts. People will occasionally look at you like you were a crazy person.

Quote Originally Posted by kurt1911 View Post
    Even with it being open in the front there's no danger of it falling of if you've been doing your squats and deadlifts.
    How do you approach the handles with the belt just hanging off your ass cheeks? Does that really work? Guess I'll have to see.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ithryn View Post
    How do you approach the handles with the belt just hanging off your ass cheeks? Does that really work? Guess I'll have to see.
    You waddle.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast