starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man, Rip wasn't kidding about a pubescent kid = greater than anabolics

Default Man, Rip wasn't kidding about a pubescent kid = greater than anabolics

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My son has been doing the program steady about a 6 weeks, his 3x5 rep work sets are about what his 1RM were when he started (1RM tests were taken by a Catholic HS that was trying to recruit him back in the winter).

14 years old

Starting stats 6'2" 255 lbs

Now 6'2" 261 lbs.

My parents (who are always getting on me about my son(their grandson) being overweight, now remark that he looks like he leaned out despite gaining 6 lbs.

He definately lost his love handles, and the gut is starting to tighten up. Shoulders/arms/ass/quads all grew some. Lifts are still nothing crazy but he has been able to keep LP going.

Quote Originally Posted by DieselBro View Post
    14 years old

6'2" 255 lbs
    Wtf

Quote Originally Posted by kanahan View Post
    Wtf

His grandfather is 6'7" 270lbs

I topped out at 6'4" though. His growth chart plots out to like 6'6" 6'7" or thereabouts.

Sounds great. If he stays on LP, and gets the kind of length you're talking about, even without a lot of explosion (aka vertical jump) he projects to a top D1 school at the coveted offensive left tackle position (the money position on the O-line).

Some explosiveness opens up a lot on defense, and even with short arms the other 4 o-line positions are good targets.

Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesepuff View Post
    Sounds great. If he stays on LP, and gets the kind of length you're talking about, even without a lot of explosion (aka vertical jump) he projects to a top D1 school at the coveted offensive left tackle position (the money position on the O-line).

Some explosiveness opens up a lot on defense, and even with short arms the other 4 o-line positions are good targets.

Keep up the good work.
    I would say his athleticism is average at the BF% he is carrying, he is definately overweight but should be able to "remake" himself on a good program.

My father was a tremendous athlete, dual sport scholarship hoops and baseball, played in the minors for the Cardinals. I wound up bulkier than him without elite hops, and topped out at D3 football. Hopefully junior has more of his athleticism

It's always really exciting watching highschool kids grow into beasts. That's a dream job for me, helping them achieve their strength and size goals. Unfortunately, need mo' money.

Quote Originally Posted by silachoo View Post
    It's always really exciting watching highschool kids grow into beasts. That's a dream job for me, helping them achieve their strength and size goals. Unfortunately, need mo' money.
    He's also kinda being "mentored" by a HS senior who was an all state heavyweight wrestler and is getting a full ride to West Chester (PA). He goes to our gym and always has a kind word for my son.

It's fun. I am going to miss my workout partner when football camp starts in July.. maybe he can just come to the gym, do some curls and crap and spot me LOL.

I am hoping he can parlay his brawn into college $. His sister got 73% of her college paid for with her brains... he needs another avenue LOL..
    Last edited by DieselBro; 03-29-2017 at 07:17 AM.

Best of luck. Also, nobody said the gunzZz can't stay pumped during football camp. I like the curls idea. We had practice 6:00am - 10:30am in the summer and I was always too zonked afterwards to lift. I mostly sat by the pool after practice.

testosterone is a hell of a drug

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    testosterone is a hell of a drug
    well technically not a drug if it is endogenous i guess. so edit: testosterone is a hell of a compound

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast