starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: People who do OHP and never bench, anyone?

Default People who do OHP and never bench, anyone?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Lots of guys in my gym. They do ohp and never seen of em doing bp before. Their ohps are pretty damn high - higher than bw. Their chest do not look bad in despite of they don't do any chest movement but ohp cleans dl and sq.

Any idea on this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Khephnes View Post
    Lots of guys in my gym. They do ohp and never seen of em doing bp before. Their ohps are pretty damn high - higher than bw. Their chest do not look bad in despite of they don't do any chest movement but ohp cleans dl and sq.

Any idea on this one?
    Huh. In most gyms it's the opposite scenario: all bench, no ohp.

I've done several-year's long stretches of training only ohp. My shoulders do not like heavy bench work.

I'm your Huckleberry.

Any idea on this one?
    where do you lift?
    type of gym?
    what country?

I don't bench, and OHP and push press a lot.
    But do incline bench.

I think a strict press, there is quite a bit of pec involvement at the bottom/start of the lift.

A lean back press: probably some pec involvement at the lean back phase.

Carl Press? like doing weighted dips I'm sure.
    (the question mark I used wasn't for asking a question)

I'm from Turkey but living in Bulgaria since 9 months. So many weightlifters in there. But almost every guy do clean, ohp and shits in here.

Their math is like, - it seems

Gear + heavy pulling such as dl or cleans + ohp = win

Strenght and size. Both.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    Carl Press? like doing weighted dips I'm sure.
    (the question mark I used wasn't for asking a question)
    Hey, he definitely presses it! Say what you will, if you don't even bend the knees, no amount of back and hip movement can prevent the fact his arms have to push that damn thing... even if he is getting more pec than most people associate with a press...

Completely irrelevant, but watching Carl's press (vid is back up now? As well as others) reminds me that I don't actually buy the floating rack. Dude clearly is getting zero drive from the first layback.

Still mad he didn't step in to defend the lift.

On-topic: Kheph, the only way I could believe this is happening is a strongman, weightlifting, or crossfit gym, where parts of these populations buy into the nobanch hype. Otherwise, all press and no bench at a normal commercial gym is very... bizarro world.

I used to only Press, and usually got stuck at about 63-64kg and would have to reset for any random reason and start over.

Now that I got a bench setup I am pressing over my PR sets for sets across AFTER bench work.

For my n=1, if you want a big press you should bench press.

I'm from Turkey but living in Bulgaria since 9 months. So many weightlifters in there. But almost every guy do clean, ohp and shits in here.

Their math is like, - it seems

Gear + heavy pulling such as dl or cleans + ohp = win

Strenght and size. Both.
    You said it yourself: weightlifters. Weightlifters don't compete in the bench. OHP is a standard part of a weightlifters' training. Here's a cool video of Klokov's training, you can see a ton of OHP work: Dmitry Klokov - Training for Power Weekend 2016 - YouTube

Many people who discovered the barbell through crossfit have negative opinions on the bench press. It was basically verboten circa 2007. I remember Rip asking for a show of hands at his 2008 seminar (when he was still with CF) who didn't bench, and there were a lot of people in the room who only did OHP(!)

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke S View Post
    I used to only Press, and usually got stuck at about 63-64kg and would have to reset for any random reason and start over.

Now that I got a bench setup I am pressing over my PR sets for sets across AFTER bench work.

For my n=1, if you want a big press you should bench press.
    Basically same experience here, because of weightlifting, including getting such around 60kg [edit: stuck closer to 75kg 1RM myself] area. Currently hoping to improve my poverty bench and hope that OHP follows.

That said, 5-3-1 with backoff volume works well for my OHP.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast