starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: et tu, Brute?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by bucksweep View Post
    As a High School Varsity coach. At our school a lot of the kids do not starting working out until they get to us in the summer going into freshman year.

I teach 8th grade. I have two pretty strong 8th grade boys in class and I was asking them the weights that they used while working out with a sports training center. One told me he uses 200 as work sets on squat (when he said that the other one gave me a look though) and the other said he could bench 170 (Which I believe and I thought was pretty good.)

My son in 7th, that has been doing the program since September uses @190 on work sets for squats and low 100s for bench. My goal (might be ambitious) but I would like him to be close to 225 on work sets on squat and @135 on bench sets by August before FB season (5/6-5'7 155/160 lbs currently). He might be playing JV as 8th grader and I am pretty sure they will be good numbers for incoming players. I have heard of a few Freshman 225 benchers and one 225 bencher in 8th grade. Most kids having done nothing but curls and start with the bar and 10s etc. foe everything else.
    My son is big 6'2" 260.. potential genetics to be 6'5" - 6'7" so his lifts seem kind of low, but he has only been doing the program properly since basketball ended. I thought 1 plate bench 2 plate squat was a good goal.

your son is 260. 175 should be baseline for going into high school at that frame

I don't think he is that full blown stage 5 puberty yet, or whatever it is called.. not going to inspect his junk though, just judging by voice pitch, facial hair etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Murelli View Post
    Your son is still young and has yet to capitalize the full profit of puberty. 175 is a good short-term goal. He'll probably be on the 225x10 by the end of HS if he trains, eats and rests consistently and stays uninjured.
    His son is lineman-sized. I think he could lift much more than 225x10 by the end of high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post
    His son is lineman-sized. I think he could lift much more than 225x10 by the end of high school.
    My eldest son is just graduating high school and at 180+ pounds can do 225-10. I would think a 260 pound kid in grade 8 has the potential for 315-multiple reps by the time he graduates. He must be a bit chubby right now though and could likely use some conditioning...

starting strength coach development program
    If I had to guess it seems like about half CNS gains and half actual strength gains right now.. he is still 14 so he has years of puberty to capitalize on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12