starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: et tu, Brute?

Default et tu, Brute?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    As many of you already know, my son and I are doing the program.

I inquired with my niece's fiance as to what a sold bench number would be for an incoming freshman.

Now, mind you, niece's fiance is now a teacher/ HS coach and was a scholarship football player for UCF.

His reply was 115x10..."You don't want him doing that low rep/heavy weight stuff?"

UCF must be one of those "funcitional" weight training programs.

Here you go.

Let's settle in a quarter of that: 10 reps @ 225.

Quote Originally Posted by Murelli View Post
    Here you go.

Let's settle in a quarter of that: 10 reps @ 225.

Son is in 8th grade . Still everything I am reading says that 5's are the way to go to promote strength gains.

Incoming freshman in high school or college?

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    Murelli is saying a good goal would be 10@225, not to train 10s.
    Bingo!!! Let's say he hits 315x5, he'll probably be able to do 225x10 with little effort.

Football strength coaches have stupid notions about strength training, and their "measures" of strength are as stupid as their notions. So they WILL measure your son's strength using a "X lbs AMRAP". Train your son using LP and then HLM or HL split, make him do his fahves and once in a while, if you must, test him with a stupid setup like that (135 AMRAP, 225 AMRAP, etc.).

Those guys at the combine rocking 40+ reps with 225 can obviously bench a lot more than 315 1RM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_GOAT View Post
    Incoming freshman in high school or college?
    HS

He is in 8th grade.. he will just continue LP until July, when camp starts and the HS does whatever fuckery they do LOL.

I thought 150-175 would be a solid bench for him.. 150 entirely doable, 175 may be tough.

I started him light to make sure form was good LP as of right now

Bench 115x3x5
    Press 75x3x5
    Squat 170x3x5
    DL 225x1x5
    Clean 75 x5x3 (I think, we use a smaller bar to get the weight up off the floor on 25's)

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    Murelli is saying a good goal would be 10@225, not to train 10s.
    OK Sorry, wasn't following.

Quote Originally Posted by DieselBro View Post
    He is in 8th grade.. he will just continue LP until July, when camp starts and the HS does whatever fuckery they do LOL.

I thought 150-175 would be a solid bench for him.. 150 entirely doable, 175 may be tough.

I started him light to make sure form was good LP as of right now

Bench 115x3x5
    Press 75x3x5
    Squat 170x3x5
    DL 225x1x5
    Clean 75 x5x3 (I think, we use a smaller bar to get the weight up off the floor on 25's)
    IMO bench form is paramount for shoulder health.

Your son is still young and has yet to capitalize the full profit of puberty. 175 is a good short-term goal. He'll probably be on the 225x10 by the end of HS if he trains, eats and rests consistently and stays uninjured.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselBro View Post
    As many of you already know, my son and I are doing the program.

I inquired with my niece's fiance as to what a sold bench number would be for an incoming freshman.

Now, mind you, niece's fiance is now a teacher/ HS coach and was a scholarship football player for UCF.

His reply was 115x10..."You don't want him doing that low rep/heavy weight stuff?"

UCF must be one of those "funcitional" weight training programs.
    As a High School Varsity coach. At our school a lot of the kids do not starting working out until they get to us in the summer going into freshman year.

I teach 8th grade. I have two pretty strong 8th grade boys in class and I was asking them the weights that they used while working out with a sports training center. One told me he uses 200 as work sets on squat (when he said that the other one gave me a look though) and the other said he could bench 170 (Which I believe and I thought was pretty good.)

My son in 7th, that has been doing the program since September uses @190 on work sets for squats and low 100s for bench. My goal (might be ambitious) but I would like him to be close to 225 on work sets on squat and @135 on bench sets by August before FB season (5/6-5'7 155/160 lbs currently). He might be playing JV as 8th grader and I am pretty sure they will be good numbers for incoming players. I have heard of a few Freshman 225 benchers and one 225 bencher in 8th grade. Most kids having done nothing but curls and start with the bar and 10s etc. foe everything else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast