starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I tried sumo, and I liked it.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    I wonder if sumo causes hip issues for some people? I've tried sumo and it bothers my hips...
    That's something that I have wondered as well, I know Coan had a hip replacement and he used sumo, I'm not sure about Dave Tate but I do know he has to have both hips replaced in the future. My hips seem to handle them fine so far, but I haven't been pulling 900 with them either.

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    I wonder if sumo causes hip issues for some people? I've tried sumo and it bothers my hips...
    I can see a really wide stance being more likely to cause problems. I think using a moderate stance (squat stance) like Ed used is probably best

Quote Originally Posted by Lex_Anderson View Post
    That's something that I have wondered as well, I know Coan had a hip replacement and he used sumo, I'm not sure about Dave Tate but I do know he has to have both hips replaced in the future. My hips seem to handle them fine so far, but I haven't been pulling 900 with them either.
    Ed has now had both hips replaced. I'm sure those 1,000 pound squats and 900 pound deadlifts take their toll.

I've never given sumo a try. I have ideal levers for deadlifting, short legs/long arms. Could I even make better use of my anthrpometry attempting to pull sumo, or would this result in "going against the grain"?

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    I can see a really wide stance being more likely to cause problems. I think using a moderate stance (squat stance) like Ed used is probably best

Ed has now had both hips replaced. I'm sure those 1,000 pound squats and 900 pound deadlifts take their toll.
    Of for sure, that and the length of his career really wore down his body. I'm using the squat like stance inspired by Ed actually.

Quote Originally Posted by BGish1984 View Post
    I've never given sumo a try. I have ideal levers for deadlifting, short legs/long arms. Could I even make better use of my anthrpometry attempting to pull sumo, or would this result in "going against the grain"?
    I have T-Rex arms, count yourself lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by BGish1984 View Post
    "I am the ANTIPOP, I'll run against the grain till the day I drop"

This video from Israel (Izzy) Thomas Narvaez might help you out. I recommend subscribing to his youtube channel, he has great training info.

Last edited by Meshuggah; 04-14-2017 at 07:01 PM. Reason: * Proper name

Thanks for the plug, Shug.

My full name is Israel Thomas Narvaez so, if anything, "Tom" should be in quotes -- although that was the name most people called me when I was a kid/teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post

My full name is Israel Thomas Narvaez so, if anything, "Tom" should be in quotes -- although that was the name most people called me when I was a kid/teenager.
    Fixed. Thanks for the great videos.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post

You're Izzy!? Hah! Interesting, good to know

I've watched a lot of your video's, learned a lot of stuff from them. Don't always agree with everything, but for the most part, great stuff.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast