starting strength gym
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favoring squats

An unforeseen future nestled somewhere in time.

Default Favoring squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So i have been favoring squatting 4-5 times a week (variation between pause squats, usual lower back squats, and front squats). Furthermore, i have been focusing on powercleans, and still do Deadlifts and OHP.
    In this mix, i have been neglecting bench press significantly and i have been neglecting (to a lesser extent) bentover barbell rows.

I just feel that for longterm health and longevity, squats and lower body exercises may be better.

What are your thoughts on this type of training?

Are you looking for programming advice, or are you seriously asking what this forum thinks of squats?

I guess what i am asking is: is it ok to focus on squats and neglect bench press and other accessories? or would that become a hindrance in the overall progress if my goal is ultimate longevity and health and conditioning.

There are no rules, do whatever you like.

By all means neglect the bench press. It is a hateful movement that will betray you (guess who's bench press just stalled).

Bent over rows ? I commend you to the words of the great sage of Wichita falls, "F£@% rows".

if you plan to use your legs on a daily basis, squat.

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    Some sort of press is probably a good idea, at least occasionally.
    I would agree, maybe not the bench press but the press. I think for a overall health standpoint you could add presses in with your squats.

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    Honestly, probably just squatting 225 for a dozen reps or so once a week is fine for overall health. Actually, it might even be better than working toward a 500lb squat. 225, plus staying physically active (lots of walking, lots of yard and house work, etc) is probably doing pretty well.
    you see, this is exactly the kind of discussion i am interested in. The issue becomes how strong is strong enough (and yes i read strong enough by the lord of the WFAC)

The point should be to use training to enhance your life and favorite activities. If you are one of those where pure strength is the goal then there are plenty of hardcore routines for you to follow.

If your looking for general health I would still say having a well above average strength level is going to make you feel better on a daily basis and make you better at your favorite sports. I think the 2/3/4 (bench 200/ squat 300/ deadlift 400) idea is a great one for the general well being of a male. Having a solid lower back will save you a lot of grief as you get older (I'm still young but I know from watching my dad that having a bad back is less than no fun).

So yea, do as you like. Although, I wouldn't totally neglect your upper body for the same general health purposes as above. But there is something addictive about putting more and more weight on that bar. You should enjoy your training!
    Last edited by JFick; 04-17-2017 at 06:54 PM. Reason: My English skills are toilet

Quote Originally Posted by docoftheworld View Post
    The issue becomes how strong is strong enough (and yes i read strong enough by the lord of the WFAC)
    When - given sound programming and good recovery practices- you can no longer get 1% stronger a month in a given movment.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    When - given sound programming and good recovery practices- you can no longer get 1% stronger a month in a given movment.
    This is really not all that far from when a competitor retires, either. If you can't get 2-3% from a 12-16 week cycle, assuming you're not getting hurt or dieting, and also assuming optimized programming/recovery, you've just about tapped genetic potential.

Not sure if that was actually your point, doe.

Granted, "sound" and "good" are not "optimal".

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast