starting strength gym

Thread: 1-2 week "mini" lp to recover from stomach virus

Default 1-2 week "mini" lp to recover from stomach virus

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Short version -

Training was going extremely well, had good momentum, making PRs every week on a 4 day split schedule.

Left town for a week (no lifting), then got either really bad food poisoning or a stomach virus the last day there. Cost me another week of not lifting and probably 7-10lbs of bodyweight.

Went in to bench on Friday and naturally felt really weak, not a lot of gas in the tank.

Diet is back to normal now, so the question is, do I just resume the original program I was doing before, or do I just do a quick mini-LP to get adapted to the volume and poundages again?

Thanks

What were your lifts before and after?

I had something similar happen earlier this year - bad stomach bug that took me out for a few days at the same time as the flu, losing ~10 lbs, then missed another week of training getting caught up at work.

I found I needed a two-week reset. Before getting sick, I was squatting 225. After getting back into it, I went 155-175-195-205-215-225 over the next two weeks. Did similar progressions with the bench/press/deadlift. I regained most of the weight over those two weeks too.

volume bench was 255 for 5x3, max was 275 (yeah I know, max is just dumb relative to my volume work).
    right before I left town I pulled 405 for a pretty easy 1x5.
    squat is silly low at 200 or so for 3x5 b/c I've been working back up from an injury.

I haven't tried squatting/deadlifting since I got back. Just got in and benched 265 for 1 rep, missed 275, then my backoffs were supposed to be 3x3 at 245. barely got 245 for 1x3, then 225 at 2x3.

Felt like complete garbage. weighed in at 208lbs that morning, down from 215ish.

You could do ramping sets of 5 for your next workout until it starts to feel relatively heavy. Then start at that top set weight for your sets of 5 the following workout and just LP your way back up.

So for bench you could do (135, 185, 215, 230) x 5 and if you feel like you only have one or two reps left in the tank at 230, your next workout would just be 230x5x3.