starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really confused about my deadlift start position meet some help

Default Really confused about my deadlift start position meet some help

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey everyone, I'm really having some trouble with my lower back lately, specifically on the deadlift, no matter what I seem to do, I can't keep a flat low back. I read the back section in the deadlift chapter that says to lift the chest while unweighted as well as "sticking your butt out" is what it feels like produce spinal extension at the bottom of a deadlift or squat. In the deadlift set-up, on the chest up part, it says to lift the chest and feel the extension carry all the way down your back.

So, since I can't keep my low back flat, should I be lifting my chest, as well as "bringing my tailbone to my mid-back" to contract my spinal erectors? Because simply following the five steps doesn't seem to be working for me.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Have you watched the lower back position control video?

Yeah, do I need to do the motion of lifting the chest as well as "dropping my dick in between my knees" to contract my erectors in the deadlift start position and the bottom of the squat? Because my lumbar spine just jeeps going into flexion.

This suggestion might get some criticism from the faithful, but here goes...

Check out Kirk Karwoski's deadlift setup. It might help you by setting your back in a different position (with same end effect). He would set up from a standing position. Everything would be set in position and then he bends at the hips (knees also a little bit), grabs the bar and pulls. His back was already set and didn't move during the setup. I experimented with this setup for a while - one of the keys to doing it successfully is to bend ONLY at the hips, and not allowing your back to round to reach the bar.

It might take a while to get used to it (if you try it). If you do want to try it, practice it with weights heavy enough to be challenging but not so heavy to allow any form deviation.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Chebass88; 04-25-2017 at 08:48 PM.

Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by jake272 View Post
    Yeah, do I need to do the motion of lifting the chest as well as "dropping my dick in between my knees" to contract my erectors in the deadlift start position and the bottom of the squat? Because my lumbar spine just jeeps going into flexion.
    Raising the chest is a cue we use to extend the upper back. This is separate from extending the lower back--so yes, you'll have to concentrate on both.

Post videos of your squat and deadlift. I'm curious whether this shows up in other lifts or, alternatively, whether your back is fine and you're overworrying. (I've seen plenty of examples, so I'm not ruling the possibility out.)

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    Raising the chest is a cue we use to extend the upper back. This is separate from extending the lower back--so yes, you'll have to concentrate on both.

Post videos of your squat and deadlift. I'm curious whether this shows up in other lifts or, alternatively, whether your back is fine and you're overworrying. (I've seen plenty of examples, so I'm not ruling the possibility out.)
    Here's my squat:

Squat 360x5 - YouTube

Deadlift

Deadlift check 380x5 - YouTube

Step 1- ditch the heels and deadlift in flats.
    Step 2- move the bar half an inch forward.

Consigliere

You lose some extension in the lower back right before the pull, but it doesn't seem horrible from this angle on most of the reps (side angle closer up would be more helpful). The same appears in the squat (you have a tendency to go too deep and relax the lumbar--same video caveat).

I think being really vigilant on the early sets and keeping yourself honest when the weight gets heavy will correct the problem--but it will take a lot of work. Or if that won't, in-person coaching with sufficient yelling will. Worst case scenario, you can do a substantial deload and only accept an extended back from then on.

The upper back seems to be the bigger problem. Really focus on raising your chest and taking the slack out of the bar before initiating the pull. This is my #1 problem with the deadlift too...it's pretty common when the weight gets heavy, so you're definitely not alone.

Consigliere

By the way...any chance you're using a 4-inch belt when you deadlift?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    By the way...any chance you're using a 4-inch belt when you deadlift?
    No, I only use the 3-inch belt for pulls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast