starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proper belt fitting for short-waist woman.

Default Proper belt fitting for short-waist woman.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, everyone. I'm really appreciating all of the excellent information on this site! I'm a 49 year-old female, 5' 2", 140 pounds. Stumpy torso.

I've recently started working with a SS coach to fix some bad habits I developed with my squat. She's been saying lately that I should start wearing a belt. My concern is that I want to make sure I get a belt that fits my speshul snowflake proportions. Poking around a bit, I can feel that there's no more than about 2 inches between the top of my hip bone and the bottom of my rib cage. In order to do its job, does the belt absolutely need to be completely in that space, and not overlapping the ribs and/or hips?

I'm really hoping that a 3 inch belt will be okay, because they are relatively easy to find. There are 2.5 inch belts out there, few and far between, but some marketing bozo decided that every single one of them needs to be PINK, which sort of makes me want to punch someone, but I digress. In either case, both a 2.5 inch and a 3 inch will overlap my hips/ribs a bit, because I just don't have that much space there.

Anyway, basically I'm looking for an answer to the question in bold. No sense in getting a belt unless I'm able to wear it correctly. Thanks!

Just to be that kind of guy, I'm going to jump in here and say that it doesn't matter if there is overlap. My gf is 5' and alternates between a 4" Wahlanders belt (Swedish make) and 2,5" Best Belt (which you can order in a bunch of different colors and they're all very well made). There are also numerous short women competing with 4" belts with - at least by the looks of it - no problem.

However, with that said, it is unfortunately one of those YMMV things, where you just have to try out a bunch of different widths in order to be sure what works for you.

Best of luck!

My 4" belt goes over my ribs (5'4" 130 lbs lady)
    I like it. I want the rigid torso that pressing my ribs outward creates. The bottom of my belt is on the smallest part of my waste and the top is on my ribdage.

I have about 3" between my ribs and hip (male, 5'10") and use a 4" belt. I think it's normal for it to ride over the floating ribs. My son is 5'6" and prefers a 3" belt. It looks like there's a lot of variability here.

If I were you, I'd borrow a belt from other lifters in your gym a few times, and try various placements, including rather high, to see if like Melody a 4" belt works.

If not, order a 2.5" belt from Best Belts in your favorite color.

Another 5'4" woman checking in with a 4 in belt, although I think that a 3 in is an easier starting place. The belt hits/rests on bone and once it is broken it, that's fine.

I am 5'4" and I started with a 4" belt. I use a 3" mostly now. I like the 4" for squatting, but I use the 3" for everything else (and honestly, normally for squats too just because it's habit). The 4" tends to bruise ribs on the deadlift, but I've used it when I didn't have a 3" available and it really wasn't that bad.

My training partner is 5' and she uses a 2.5" belt, but she could probably get away with a 3".

I haven't measured any part of our torsos though, but I'd say we're both pretty average in that area.

Thanks, I appreciate everyone's input. I didn't know about Best Belts, but I decided to go ahead and order a 2.5 inch from them, and just see. I don't have anyone to borrow a lifting belt from, but I just tried a couple of bodyweight squats while wearing two regular trousers belts around my waist, and really didn't like the pukey feeling I got from the pressure on my stomach. Hopefully that's not an issue with actual lifting belts, but I'm not sure how any belt would be able to sit low enough to not squeeze that area. Oh well, time will tell.

I'm 5'7", but extremely short-waisted. I wear a 4" belt, maybe a little bit softer than some, but it overlaps ribs and hipbones. I like the fact that it keeps my torso rigid on deadlift and squats. I was originally considering a narrower belt, but once I got this one, I found that I like it just fine. I did break it in pretty hard initially, though.

5'6" and verrrrrrrry short-waisted checking in. I use a 3" for everything. I actually bought a 2.5" at one point for deadlifts, but never ended up using it -- the 3" was fine.

I am also very curvy (significant waist/hip ratio), which I think also is a factor in where and how the belt sits.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    Wife is 5'3 with a short torso 4 for squats and 3 for deadlift.

Melody and Leah, do you use the 4 for deadlift?

Granted, individual differences and whatnot
    I do use it for deadlift now, yes. My 4 inch is also 13mm so it took getting used to but I like it now. I do think a 4in 13mm is too much belt for most smaller people to start with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast