starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thumb splitting with hook grip DL

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Another thing to try is to press the thumb into the bar and slide it towards yourself, so the pad of your thumb pushes out a little. Then wrap your fingers around and grip tight.

Make sure you are taking care of your hands and moisturizing your skin too.

Quote Originally Posted by melody View Post
    Make sure you are taking care of your hands and moisturizing your skin too.
    I know there are lifting specific brands, but Burts Bees Wax Hand salve seems to do the trick for keeping the skin pliable for hook grip/barbell training.

If the hook is beating you up, you can always use a mixed grip.

Is this only occurring since the initial skin tear? Give it some time to heal, as you're probably re-injuring he already vulnerable skin while it heals.

Wouldn't hurt to review the pics in the book to ensure you've got the grip down pat. Chalk is good. The right kind of tape may be a consideration if needed. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
    Is this only occurring since the initial skin tear? Give it some time to heal, as you're probably re-injuring he already vulnerable skin while it heals.

Wouldn't hurt to review the pics in the book to ensure you've got the grip down pat. Chalk is good. The right kind of tape may be a consideration if needed. Good luck.
    Yep, I'm doing SSOC and am going to send my coach a pic. The injury keeps occurring at the same place (even though visually the skin appears to be healed). I'm posting the question here because I felt it would be an interesting discussion (hadn't seen it posted before).

Tom, for now I'm using straps + grippers to supplement. My coach and I are still dialing in my form (slight bar roll at the start of the pull) so adding another variable at this point may not make sense. I'm not working towards a competition so I'm not overly concerned about 1RM grip strength on my pulls. We'll probably switch to mixed grip when he feels it's prudent.

I've done low 5s for a single and mid 4s for reps (5) with hook without problem but recently started doing more volume (8 sets of 2-3 reps instead of 1 set of 5) and have have torn like 2 calluses since then and got a couple of blisters!

This doesn't really help but I think you should be able to adapt to 1 set of 5 without tearing calluses. I guess you just get used to what you do in training... I'm having to use mixed grip now so that my fucked up thumbs heal

starting strength coach development program
    The more volume you do with hook grip the more volume you can tolerate with hook grip.
    If you have an active split, use straps and moisturizer and heal the skin. Study hook grip set up while you are healing. When you return to using hook grip use a lot of chalk on your friction points, chalk well and set the grip hard.
    No long term detriment to the thumbs but abnormal callous formation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12