starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Strength World Has Lost A Giant

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    Several sites give his max deadlift at 766lb. Just curious why it would be so much less than his squat.
    Could be a number of reasons such as a hand issue or he knew he could out squat everyone so he had no reason to pull higher than that?

Quote Originally Posted by Lex_Anderson View Post
    Could be a number of reasons such as a hand issue or he knew he could out squat everyone so he had no reason to pull higher than that?
    Still is curious. By his time gear was giving something, but it wouldn't be enough to explain the difference by any means. Nor does he appear to have the kind of exaggeratedly good squat anthropometry that seems to cause that distinction.

Maybe he just cared much more about his squat? Strange as this may sound, but the man was one of the patron saints of quad dominant, hips under the bar squatting as the ideal, so maybe he just flat out had a comparatively weak back?

I believe I read that by that time, he only cared about squatting 1000, being that he was 45 when did it and it took him roughly 5 years to plan for it... he wasn't competing in full competitions anymore....

I believe that I read somewhere that he did make a plan that took him some years to get the 1000 on squats. That's a testament to that mans dedication and foresight.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Really great read, its always great to read articles like these, really sheds light on who people were.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Great. Really enjoyed reading. Thanks for sharing.

Dr. Squat had hand/grip issues he went through rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders prior to the height of his Powerlifting career. There was a point where he was competing as a Weightlifter, Powerlifter, and Gymnast "I knew there was no way my shoulders could take one more limit snatch or german giant on the high bar, I got to the point where i could not reach and take my wallet out of my back pocket, The surgery was awful I would shoot myself rather than go through another rotator cuff surgery."

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by TODD SHELTON View Post
    Dr. Squat had hand/grip issues he went through rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders prior to the height of his Powerlifting career. There was a point where he was competing as a Weightlifter, Powerlifter, and Gymnast "I knew there was no way my shoulders could take one more limit snatch or german giant on the high bar, I got to the point where i could not reach and take my wallet out of my back pocket, The surgery was awful I would shoot myself rather than go through another rotator cuff surgery."
    I can only imagine how all of that must have beaten hi down over the years. Doing all three sports at an elite level is basically suicide for your shoulders. I'm not a medical person, but I'm curious on how rotator cuff surgery has changed from the time he had it to todays procedures.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12