starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Feeling the weight"

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Eh, I dunno, I only like wraps to keep my knees warm, these thicker wraps strain my knee at the bottom, it feels like they push knee apart at the front (Wrap scrunches together behind knee and becomes a fulcrum over which the tibia and femur are levered).

Maybe i'll just bounce squats on my wifes pregancy ball.

Jk.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    For squat overload

/thread
    Except squatting with wraps is a pain in the ass. Hard to wrap well and consistently if you're a raw lifter and you don't wrap all the time. Makes time between sets longer. Hurts if you fuck it up or you're a bitch like me. My knees hurt afterwards too. Fuck squatting with wraps. You don't get to feel the bar weight at the bottom, but I'd rather use chains.

#lewissimon #wesside4lyfe #riptupac
    Last edited by manveer; 05-18-2017 at 04:33 AM.

I think whether walkouts are useful to a lifter is going to be a very individual thing - some lifters get enough from heavy squatting that any weight they "can" potentially squat in the near future is quite easy on the walkout and stabilisation, for others this is not the case (like some lifters need a lot of grip work and some don't). Also bear in mind that walkouts are generally more useful for equipped lifters just due to the extra absolute load.

Personally I love partials / walkouts / overloads and treat them as a separate lift.

I find them more psychological. Loading 10% extra in the warm up room takes away that "oh shit this PB feels heaavyyyy"! More..."this fells light, I should be ok."

I changed my mind in the shower this morning. Don't do walkouts or partials.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Hard to wrap well and consistently if you're a raw lifter and you don't wrap all the time.
    If only you had two parallel grasping surfaces (that wouldn't mar the wrap fabric with aggressive teeth), and some sort of handle mechanism that multiplied grip force via mechanical advantage.

If only you had two parallel grasping surfaces (that wouldn't mar the wrap fabric with aggressive teeth), and some sort of handle mechanism that multiplied grip force via mechanical advantage.
    Hwmmmm. E=mc^2 ?

Quote Originally Posted by turnip View Post
    I find them more psychological. Loading 10% extra in the warm up room takes away that "oh shit this PB feels heaavyyyy"! More..."this fells light, I should be ok."
    Exactly. I do appreciate the danger of doing it with too much weight, but the confidence boost is undeniable (vis a vis myself...)

The bar feels lighter when the bar and my back are chalked.

Quote Originally Posted by sciomako View Post
    The bar feels lighter when the bar and my back are chalked.
    Do you have a center knurl?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by pshotsb17 View Post
    Hwmmmm. E=mc^2 ?
    Have you heard the good news about the Knipex Pliers Wrench?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast