starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Feeling the weight"

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    Wait, did you just apply rpe to a walk out/static hold?
    I apply RPE to everything nowadays, eating, pooping, sleeping. Its applicable to life man.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    Wait, did you just apply rpe to a walk out/static hold?
    Ha! no I worked up to 155x1 full squat. Everything thereafter was static hold no RPE. But if I had to give the holds an RPE, i'd say 2.5
    Last edited by pshotsb17; 05-17-2017 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Spelling

Get a belt before worrying about walkouts.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Get a belt before worrying about walkouts.
    When I brace I retract my testicles to seal my pelvic floor and create a brace superior to any belt.

Yea no I ordered one from Bob's its just taking its sweet time.

Quote Originally Posted by pshotsb17 View Post
    When I brace I retract my testicles to seal my pelvic floor and create a brace superior to any belt.

Yea no I ordered one from Bob's its just taking its sweet time.
    Well that's your problem... when u brace, your are to push out... and your testicles should brush the floor to prove proper depth...

Quote Originally Posted by pshotsb17 View Post
    So I tried it today. Pretty happy with how it went. Considering my daughter was born Tuesday after a 3 day labor process I am a little underslept. So I worked up to 155k x1 @ 8. It felt good, first time bracing properly into my belly rather than into my upper chest ( I dont have a belt yet). After a few sets of 4 with 140 I then just stood up in the pins with 160, 165 and 175, and lowered 175 a foot to safety bars.

They felt fine, and I'll keep doing these from time because I realized that they show me how much MORE bracing and control and tightness I will need to actually squat those weigts, and where I am missing it. It was also clear why throwing 200k on there would be dumb. But psychologically it gave me confidence at little cost.

And then I watched Mike T bench 455lb for fun and cried a little inside.
    Congrats on your daughter's birth.

And jeez, dude, be awfully careful doing overload work while in 'new-child-fatigue'.

I have had great success with walkouts. My problems are generally psychological...I'm a wuss. I walkout about 30 to 50lb more than my worksets and once I'm done my worksets feel a shit-ton lighter. I only hold it for about 3 to 5 seconds though. And I wear my belt and brace like hell. I do not qtr squats with it or any of that bullshit...I think that would just reinforce bad form.

Another major help if problems are psychological is to squat in a power rack. With properly set satefies, you really can't screw up...even if you fall forward (which I've done), the safeties catch it and your fine. I only use spotters at meets, because I would worry I'd fuck up and hurt them. Can't hurt a power rack (just the bar I guess...but better than a person).

Also, I would force fail something, but once you gracefully set a heavy set on the pins, you realize...its really no big deal at all.

Meant to say, I would not force fail a heavy weight. But once you do...you realize no big thang.

Most of the pussies and fat acceptance crowd on the SS forum will tell you that partials, walkouts and that sort of thing is bad for you. So filter them out. But they probably are a little dangerous if you are stupid though.

In my anecdotal experience you can't do enough work on them to warrant any actual overtraining that would affect your regular training, but I haven't actually found them useful or helpful in any way either to helping a lift. It's something I might do on a 'day off' just cause I am bored but I wouldn't expect miracles. I think for your average trainee (or new father) your time would be better spent enjoying life, or doing some light conditioning if you are not doing work sets.

starting strength coach development program
    For squat overload

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    squat with wraps
    /thread

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast