starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water cut results- Did I do it wrong?

Default Water cut results- Did I do it wrong?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    While not trying to make weight at a comp on Saturday, I experimented with a water cut to test the results. The consensus was I'd lose 1.5-2kg.

The actual result was 400g from Thursday am to Saturday am......and the official scales were 600g more than mine. I've lost more from a hot 20 minute shower (800g).

I normally drink a lot of water, 5-6l a day. Upped this to 8l on Tues and Wed, dropped to 4l on Thurs and 2l on Friday, with nothing from 8pm to weigh in at 9am Saturday.

Can anyone see where I went wrong?

U might not have stressed your system enough since I drink a gallon per day as it is.
    Did u take into consideration salt intake, try caffeine, magnesium citrate drink?

I suspect it could be as my water intake is already high......but then again, so is my caffeine intake.

I added a bit of salt....maybe 5g Tues/Wed, unlike water, I never add salt and always buy low salt products.

The goal is to do the minimum possible to get the last few kg's. If it is not going to work or be too taxing (I'm 54) then its back to cardio and be at the right weight weeks before.

Quote Originally Posted by turnip View Post
    While not trying to make weight at a comp on Saturday, I experimented with a water cut to test the results. The consensus was I'd lose 1.5-2kg.

The actual result was 400g from Thursday am to Saturday am......and the official scales were 600g more than mine. I've lost more from a hot 20 minute shower (800g).

I normally drink a lot of water, 5-6l a day. Upped this to 8l on Tues and Wed, dropped to 4l on Thurs and 2l on Friday, with nothing from 8pm to weigh in at 9am Saturday.

Can anyone see where I went wrong?
    Didn't condition your body to processing large amounts of water. I always used this as a guide and it has yielded 10-12lbs with only mild dehydration. I drink a lot of water normally as well. Pedialyte seems to bounce you back quickly.

A Stupid Simple Guide to Water Manipulation | hedstrong training Applications
    Last edited by Clintcase; 05-21-2017 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Can't link for shit.

Yep, I start upping my water for a cut about 6-7 days before, and I up my salt. If you can pretty simply get your weight down without a water cut, I'd do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Clintcase View Post
    Didn't condition your body to processing large amounts of water. I always used this as a guide and it has yielded 10-12lbs with only mild dehydration. I drink a lot of water normally as well. Pedialyte seems to bounce you back quickly.

A Stupid Simple Guide to Water Manipulation | hedstrong training Applications
    Thanks for that.....I went from a standard formula that didn't take into account of my higher than normal base line.

I've got Nationals in 10 weeks, so will test this out in a few weeks. I'd rather be eating ice cream the night before than sweating it out, so will also lose a bit in the next few weeks as well.

Quote Originally Posted by turnip View Post
    I added a bit of salt....maybe 5g Tues/Wed, unlike water, I never add salt and always buy low salt products.

There's your mistake. The extra salt will have forced your body to hold onto the water.

I always do a water cut of about 3kg for a meet. I don't measure anything or do anything complicated.

Monday to Thursday I drink lots of water, maybe 10 glasses extra per day and eat as little salt as possible and avoid carbs. No keto-extreme, but low carb.

On Friday I drink very little. Only as much as necessary to stave off the raging thirst. This has always resulted in at least a 3kg drop in weight on a Saturday 2h weigh-in.

BTW, I'm also 54.

Quote Originally Posted by hbriem View Post
    There's your mistake. The extra salt will have forced your body to hold onto the water.

I always do a water cut of about 3kg for a meet. I don't measure anything or do anything complicated.

Monday to Thursday I drink lots of water, maybe 10 glasses extra per day and eat as little salt as possible and avoid carbs. No keto-extreme, but low carb.

On Friday I drink very little. Only as much as necessary to stave off the raging thirst. This has always resulted in at least a 3kg drop in weight on a Saturday 2h weigh-in.

BTW, I'm also 54.
    You're supposed to add salt early in the week, and drop down to as little as possible by the end. High salt and water early in the week does retain water, which causes your body to increase water shedding. The water shedding is still in effect when you stop taking it in at the end of the week and you lose more than you added.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    You're supposed to add salt early in the week, and drop down to as little as possible by the end. High salt and water early in the week does retain water, which causes your body to increase water shedding. The water shedding is still in effect when you stop taking it in at the end of the week and you lose more than you added.
    OK. It's always worked for me, but then my normal salt intake is probably on the high side.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by hbriem View Post
    OK. It's always worked for me, but then my normal salt intake is probably on the high side.
    Yeah, I'm sure it can work without the salt bit, but I think you can get a little more weight loss with it. It's definitely not all-or-nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast