starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Florida Girl Mattie Rogers

Default Florida Girl Mattie Rogers

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    With a new American Record in the Clean & Jerk.

our female team we are sending to the PanAms will be interesting . . . .

Two US record holders going . . . (Rogers/ Lucero)

It will be fun to watch:
    Rogers, Hay, Lucero, Batchelor, etc

Hopefully Mary Peck does well, but I think she injured.

We better win some fucking gold medals.

It's great to see American starting to compete at the international level again. Maybe its the one benefit of the popularity of Crossfit, more people exposed to the sport of weightlifting.

can someone give me the cliffs notes on the hierarchy of weightlifting competitions and american competitors? Or possibly direct me to the right place? I see something like "mattie rogers sets an american record" and I have no idea if that has any meaning internationally etc... Like, will this qualify her for the olympics or what?

Quote Originally Posted by silachoo View Post
    can someone give me the cliffs notes on the hierarchy of weightlifting competitions and american competitors? Or possibly direct me to the right place? I see something like "mattie rogers sets an american record" and I have no idea if that has any meaning internationally etc... Like, will this qualify her for the olympics or what?
    Its just the USA record. "American" techincally wrong term . . .cuz that could mean north/south america . .the "Americas".

Nations have to earn points/qualifying spots for the Olympics thru placing in various IWF sanctioned meets throughout the four year/quad.
    I don't quite understand it myself.
    For instance, we do sorta OK at the Pan American Championships IWF meet (cuz north and south american aren't very good compared to say Asia).
    Some of our people will place there, thus earning the USA places in the Olympics.
    USAW decides who will go, and what they (USAW) will do with those earned spots.

Mattie's USA Records mean nothing in the international scheme of things.

Likewise, A few Chinese lifters broke world records (and Chinese records) at their Chinese Nationals last year.
    But that's not an IWF sanctioned meet, so although impressive numbers, means nothing on the world stage.

hope that helps.

for comparison:

Mattie C&J'd 134 for a new USA record. (her old record was 133)

Current IWF world record is 147 by Deng (CHN).

. . . 13 kg/30 lbs difference.

2016 fall Chinese Nationals . . .69kg girls CJ bext numbers were like 145,142,137 . . . Deng did not compete in that meet.

There's a 69kg Colombian girl who can CJ 145 . . .she pretty good as well. She'll be at Panams.

So Mattie is still a long way off; she's too tall and skinny.
    Will eventually need to move up from 69kg to 75kg to fill out her frame;
    but I doubt she'll do that . . . . for the obv reasons (vanity).
    Last edited by MBasic; 05-23-2017 at 09:38 AM.

Thanks MBasic. That explains alot, and i'm pleasantly surprised to see that we are at least within 30 freedom units. TBH i would have guessed 70-100lb differential. Also, just on a general basis, ~300 freedom unit C&J by ~150lb girl is fucking impressive. I don't follow weightlifting enough, but weightlifting never ceases to impress me.

One bright spot in USAW is CJ Cummings.
    The IWF will further classify, or keep track of those records in the various age groups.
    A "Youth" is anyone under 13-17 years old.
    A "Junior" I think is 18-20??
    Throughout the year they might have a "Junior" Worlds . . .etc (where senior don't lift)

CJ Cummings holds the IWF Youth World Record for Clean and Jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    Nations have to earn points/qualifying spots for the Olympics thru placing in various IWF sanctioned meets throughout the four year/quad.
    I don't quite understand it myself.
    For instance, we do sorta OK at the Pan American Championships IWF meet (cuz north and south american aren't very good compared to say Asia).
    Some of our people will place there, thus earning the USA places in the Olympics.
    Countries earn spots for the Olympics based on combined results of the 2 world championships preceding the Olympics (for men the top 6 countries earn 6 spots, the next 6 countries earn 5, the next 6 get 4 and the next 6 get 3, countries can earn between 2 and 4 spots for women). Countries which don't earn any spots through the world championships can enter a continental qualifier to earn a single spot. The US earned 1 spot for men and 3 for women for Rio.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    USAW decides who will go, and what they (USAW) will do with those earned spots.

Mattie's USA Records mean nothing in the international scheme of things.
    USAW uses either projected finish or % of average bronze total to decide who gets a spot. I believe Mattie was the best lifter at the 2016 trials but didn't make the team due to how competitive her weightclass is internationally.

Quote Originally Posted by Floggingsully View Post
    USAW uses either projected finish or % of average bronze total to decide who gets a spot. I believe Mattie was the best lifter at the 2016 trials but didn't make the team due to how competitive her weightclass is internationally.
    And that is why I hate USAW, the best lifter doesn't even get to go compete. The system needs to be fixed.

starting strength coach development program
    The big thing I notice about Mattie and to lesser extent Jess Lucero is how far ahead of the rest of the pack they are in their weight classes and yet they're still way behind the Asians. I watched Mattie compete and she followed herself on all three lifts. As in her opener was higher than the silver medalists third attempt.

Then again, I also don't think they're too worried about WADA coming around either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast