starting strength gym
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Everyone Should Sumo Deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    This is reason # 10 why I HATE powerlifting: using a suit to artificially increase the amount of weight one can lift isn't considered cheating. WTF?
    If everyone in the division is doing it, I wouldn't consider it cheating. Is it cheating to play amateur baseball with aluminum bats? If the league says its ok, then it isn't. And your batting stats etc. are for that particular league only.

*I lift raw as well, but I don't have a beef with geared lifting.

This is reason # 10 why I HATE powerlifting: using a suit to artificially increase the amount of weight one can lift isn't considered cheating. WTF?
    You do realize that equipped lifting happens in a separate division from raw lifting... don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    You do realize that equipped lifting happens in a separate division from raw lifting... don't you?
    Makes no difference to me. Its just stupid (in my opinion only) and I could never understand why someone would use shirts and wraps. Its like cheating on a test, getting an A and then telling everyone that you earned an A. It just doesn't compute. I know the arguments...you get stronger non shirted bench when you bench shirted, etc. If that is the case, then train using the shirt as a tool and then compete without it. I was a video of a 13 year old girl that weighed maybe 125 pounds bench pressing over 250 pounds using a bridge the size of the Golden Gate and a several ply shirt. I dare say that a 150 pound SS style bench would have severly injured her, yet everyone was amazed at her accomplishment. Why not just deadlift with actual springs between your hammies and calves?

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    If everyone in the division is doing it, I wouldn't consider it cheating. Is it cheating to play amateur baseball with aluminum bats? If the league says its ok, then it isn't. And your batting stats etc. are for that particular league only.

*I lift raw as well, but I don't have a beef with geared lifting.
    If you read my quote, I acknowledge that it isn't cheating to use gear. It's the not cheating part that I don't get.

Why not just deadlift with actual springs between your hammies and calves?
    The technology doesn't exist yet.

Makes no difference to me. Its just stupid (in my opinion only) and I could never understand why someone would use shirts and wraps. Its like cheating on a test, getting an A and then telling everyone that you earned an A. It just doesn't compute. I know the arguments...you get stronger non shirted bench when you bench shirted, etc. If that is the case, then train using the shirt as a tool and then compete without it. I was a video of a 13 year old girl that weighed maybe 125 pounds bench pressing over 250 pounds using a bridge the size of the Golden Gate and a several ply shirt. I dare say that a 150 pound SS style bench would have severly injured her, yet everyone was amazed at her accomplishment. Why not just deadlift with actual springs between your hammies and calves?
    *EDITED TO MAKE MY POST MORE RELEVANT*

I get the sentiment. I can wrap my head around geared lifting because the appeal is moving and experiencing the gravity of poundages you otherwise would not be able to handle. That could be pretty cool I guess. Not really my cup of tea. With regards to extreme expression of powerlifting rules (grip width, wide sumo, extreme arch) - all kosher with me from a competition standpoint. I don't exactly gawk in awe when a tiny chinese lady moves a heavy bench one inch. I mean it's cool to win within the framework of the rules from a competition stand point. But, to me, it's not really an impressive feat of strength. Which, usually, strength and success in powerlifting are highly correlated. But, it's not the "strongest" that wins, necessarily.

I think some people take beef with the extreme envelope pushing of the rulebook because, in their minds, the spirit of powerlifting is to reveal the best strength within a weightclass. Ultimately strongman competitions are probably a better barometer of "who is the strongest" IMO.
    Last edited by silachoo; 05-25-2017 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by silachoo View Post
    Competition and actual strength are two different subjects.
    This. People forget this all the time in regards to sports.

This is reason # 10 why I HATE powerlifting
    You should stop deadlifting immediately, it's one of the three lifts in Powerlifting. Never do anything you hate.

If you didn't care, you wouldn't have brought it up.

I think it's pretty dumb too if I'm being honest. But your analogy doesn't hold up. It's like taking a test where the professor applies a 20% curve to everyone equally and the student who would have gotten 95% gets 115%. Also kind of dumb IMO, and that's coming from someone who took a class like that in college and ended up getting a "B" at the end of the semester. But I wasn't cheating.

Anyway, to say you "HATE powerlifting" because there is one variety of it that you think is stupid, while another variety of it is done according to rules that you apparently would approve of, seems like a needlessly broad statement of vitriol.
    Last edited by Tim K; 05-25-2017 at 01:43 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Sumo is dumb

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast