starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Declining RPE on work sets?

Default Declining RPE on work sets?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Ive noticed this strange phenomena when I train which is that my RPE declines across my work set, rather than increases, regardless of the movement.

For example, take a squat workout: I typically warm up starting with the barx10, then 60kgx5x2, 80kgx5, 100x5, 120x3, 140x3x2, 150x1, 160x1, then 140x6x4 (rxs). On the work set, I will be aiming for 8 RPE, but it will usually go something like: 9, 8.5, 8, 7. It is quite frusterating because I really would like the last set to be the first set in RPE terms.

Anybody every have this happen to them? What did you do about it? I thought about warming up longer but I am already taking 45mins for the above squat workout, for example (including warmup)

My guess without seeing the squats is that your form is inconsistent.

9 to a 7 is quite odd

I think if you went 8, 8.5, 8, 7.5 that might be somewhat normal or even 8.5, 8, 8, 7.5

Rest times consistent?

Also, that's probably too many warmups

Why not

barx10
    60x5x2
    90x5
    120x3
    140x1
    150x1
    160x1

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    My guess without seeing the squats is that your form is inconsistent.
    Maybe, Im no pro, and have been working on it with the technique forum. Its not really inconsistent on the work sets because Im not near failure but probably is on the heavy singles.
    Quote Originally Posted by gtl View Post
    9 to a 7 is quite odd

I think if you went 8, 8.5, 8, 7.5 that might be somewhat normal or even 8.5, 8, 8, 7.5

Rest times consistent?
    2 mins on the heavy singles and 3-4 mins on the work sets.

Quote Originally Posted by gtl View Post
    Also, that's probably too many warmups

Why not

barx10
    60x5x2
    90x5
    120x3
    140x1
    150x1
    160x1
    Always thought I needed a thorough warmup. Will give a shorter version a try.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    When I did TM, on squats VD it was quite common for the 4th set to be the easiest.

Even now, on a volume intense day I may find the later sets to be easier. It wouldn't be an RPE drop of 2, maybe one. On my last OHP day, I had five sets of four and the last set had the fastest bar speed.

That being said, I'm old and beat up. I also don't do a lot of warm ups. For instance, that last OHP day was 45x10, 95x5, 135x5, then 185x4x5
    Many times I'm stronger on the later sets, that's why I consider RPE to be nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Many times I'm stronger on the later sets, that's why I consider RPE to be nonsense.
    But why does that happen? That doesn't make intuitive sense to me. So should I double the number of work sets so as to get peak performance on more than 1 set?

First work set is always hardest for me. I find it to almost be another warmup. I'm not used to the weight and often don't get the "groove" right.
    Second set is always easiest. Muscles are warm and I'm confident that I can put up the weight after success on set one.
    Third is slightly harder as I'm fatigued by this point.

I have considered playing around with a heavy single as my last warmup to prevent a weak first set. Has anyone tried this?

Example:
    Warmup - 135 x 5, 185 x 3, 225 x 1, 275 x 1
    Work set: 255 x 5

Quote Originally Posted by TimD View Post
    First work set is always hardest for me. I find it to almost be another warmup. I'm not used to the weight and often don't get the "groove" right.
    Second set is always easiest. Muscles are warm and I'm confident that I can put up the weight after success on set one.
    Third is slightly harder as I'm fatigued by this point.

I have considered playing around with a heavy single as my last warmup to prevent a weak first set. Has anyone tried this?

Example:
    Warmup - 135 x 5, 185 x 3, 225 x 1, 275 x 1
    Work set: 255 x 5
    I use that a lot, it's called an over-warmup. When you drop back down in weight you can always get more reps because it feels lighter.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    I use that a lot, it's called an over-warmup. When you drop back down in weight you can always get more reps because it feels lighter.
    Thanks, that's good to know. I'll try it once I feel progress begin to stall, but I don't want to risk anything throwing off workout-to-workout progress right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast