starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill DeSimone & Congruent Exercise

Default Bill DeSimone & Congruent Exercise

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    After a search of the forums came up empty, I would like to read everyone's thoughts of Bill DeSimone's Congruent Exercise/Moment Arm Exercise philosophy. Bill emphasizes preserving joint longevity (specifically the vertebral column) by limiting training to exercises that do not cause undue stress on connective tissue.

I've watched videos of his presentations and read some of his articles (though not the books) and can sense, in principle, his critique of heavy barbell training.

While I do not give other strength/fitness paradigms much thought, in light of my last 18 months reading, absorbing and implementing the Starting Strength philosophy, Bill's material and approach slightly raised my interest.

Thank you for your responses.

From my vast research (i.e. five minutes on Google), apparently he says not to squat or deadlift heavy. So you're probably not going to find many people here who are familiar with his work, and zero people who agree with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    From my vast research (i.e. five minutes on Google), apparently he says not to squat or deadlift heavy. So you're probably not going to find many people here who are familiar with his work, and zero people who agree with him.
    Heavy squats and deads necessarily lead to compromised joint function and longevity.

This enormous claim is easy to prove via 1) videos of ed coan blowing his knee out & 2) my uncle (who's an ortho) said so & 3) if you really, really understand connective tissue you just know (self-evident).

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Heavy squats and deads necessarily lead to compromised joint function and longevity.

This enormous claim is easy to prove via 1) videos of ed coan blowing his knee out & 2) my uncle (who's an ortho) said so & 3) if you really, really understand connective tissue you just know (self-evident).
    We all know that tissues achieve and maintain the highest robustness and function only when they are maximally insulated from any and all stress. It's why astronauts are always so much stronger after returning from long periods aboard the space station.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    We all know that tissues achieve and maintain the highest robustness and function only when they are maximally insulated from any and all stress. It's why astronauts are always so much stronger after returning from long periods aboard the space station.
    You ever seen an MRI of Stephen Hawkings left knee?

I have.

Never seen such pristine connective tissue.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    You ever seen an MRI of Stephen Hawkings left knee?

I have.

Never seen such pristine connective tissue.
    I laughed way more than I should have at this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex_Anderson View Post
    I laughed way more than I should have at this.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by smehallow View Post
    Bill emphasizes preserving joint longevity (specifically the vertebral column) by limiting training to exercises that do not cause undue stress on connective tissue.
    Flame bait, but I'll bite.

This flies in the face of the theory of "stress / recovery / adaptation".

Also, Arnold Schwarzenegger is 69 and his back is fine. Louie Simmons is about 68 and he can still squat 500+ pounds and deadlift 500+ pounds. Where are all the old lifters with the worn out backs?

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
    Flame bait, but I'll bite.

This flies in the face of the theory of "stress / recovery / adaptation".

Also, Arnold Schwarzenegger is 69 and his back is fine. Louie Simmons is about 68 and he can still squat 500+ pounds and deadlift 500+ pounds. Where are all the old lifters with the worn out backs?
    Not to hijack this, but I am more interested in the question of heart longetivity. BB training at heavy weights puts your heart under immense pressure (literally), and I wonder if it shortens our heart's lifespans vs an average exercise Joe.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by pshotsb17 View Post
    Not to hijack this, but I am more interested in the question of heart longetivity. BB training at heavy weights puts your heart under immense pressure (literally), and I wonder if it shortens our heart's lifespans vs an average exercise Joe.
    I believe that years of heavy lifting will shorten my life, but my goal is not a long life, my goal is to be as strong as I can possibly be while I'm on this earth.
    Falling over dead a minute or two after a new Deadlift PR would be a great way to go out for me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast