starting strength gym
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: SS lifters in Washington D.C.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Moorefoodnow View Post
    I don't have anyone I train with actively, no. I have a coworker who I'm training that comes from time to time but mostly I have it to myself!
    Sounds good! I wish I had a space like that to myself.

Laidbackzack, where have you been training?

Quote Originally Posted by FEAR_is_POWER_is_FEAR View Post
    Yea, that home gym setup is pretty awesome!

I work in Alexandria, so it would be about a 20 min Uber ride from my office to the Capitol Health Gym. I'm down for that one day after work. I'm not sure what everyone's workout split is like, I'm currently doing m/w/f, with some conditioning on Saturday morning, but if Saturday is better for everyone maybe we could make that work as well. Might be easier to get around using metro or uber on the weekend.

5rings in falls church charges a $10 drop-in fee, if anyone wanted to train there.
    Usually M/W/S, but not rigid about it. I hit a wall in my progress a couple weeks ago, then got sick, and have not gotten back to training regularly yet.

I don't know the geography out there in suburban NoVa very well, but I'm getting the impression that there's a center of mass of lifters out there. If you all want to plan to get together where it is convenient for you, don't hesitate on my account. If the location is convenient at all, I'll try to make it. And maybe those of us who are in/close to DC can get together in or near the city.

Tom

I am frequently out in the Reston/D.C. area due to work, pretty much resigned myself to suboptimal training environments when out there.

When possible I try and use a free day pass to a few of the gyms with at least some semblance of barbell outfitting.

Sounds good! I wish I had a space like that to myself.

Laidbackzack, where have you been training?
    I train over at the Gold's in Ballston. Great place with 5 squat racks and 2 deadlift platforms. I work in the Capitol, so I'm close to OP's gym.

All right, for those in/near the city I propose a workout at my gym, Capitol Sport and Health, 315 G St SE. There are 4 squat racks/platforms, they do get some use but should not be a problem. Weekend, or weekday evening?

Quote Originally Posted by Laidbackzack View Post
    I train over at the Gold's in Ballston. Great place with 5 squat racks and 2 deadlift platforms. I work in the Capitol, so I'm close to OP's gym.
    That's awesome. I'm starting a new job over in that area pretty soon. I'll definitely have to check out that gym. Do they have bumper plates/do they get mad at your if you do oly lifts?

Quote Originally Posted by tompaynter View Post
    All right, for those in/near the city I propose a workout at my gym, Capitol Sport and Health, 315 G St SE. There are 4 squat racks/platforms, they do get some use but should not be a problem. Weekend, or weekday evening?
    Totally up to meet you there. What days/times are least crowded? I assume a weekend day would be better for most folks.

That's awesome. I'm starting a new job over in that area pretty soon. I'll definitely have to check out that gym. Do they have bumper plates/do they get mad at your if you do oly lifts?
    Yeah, you most definitely should. It's the best gym I've found in the Arlington area. They have ample bumper plates, allow chalk, and have no issue with dropping oly lifts. Longest I've waited on a super crowded weeknight is ~5-10 min for a rack/platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Laidbackzack View Post
    Totally up to meet you there. What days/times are least crowded? I assume a weekend day would be better for most folks.

Weekday evenings are a bit more crowded than weekend days. But it isn't a very crowded gym. I've never waited more than 5 or 10 minutes for a platform/rack and usually no wait at all.

Quote Originally Posted by tompaynter View Post
    Weekday evenings are a bit more crowded than weekend days. But it isn't a very crowded gym. I've never waited more than 5 or 10 minutes for a platform/rack and usually no wait at all.
    Let's do a weekend then. What's your/everyone's availability like over the next few weeks?

starting strength coach development program
    Sorry for the delayed response. I started a new job a couple of weeks ago, and I've been training on swing shifts, so I've had a different schedule every week so far. Luckily, I've still been able to keep up with my lifts though. I'd still be interested in getting together for a lifting session, maybe on a Friday. I'm busy the next four Saturdays, and then our baby is due August 20, so I'll really have limited free time for the gym.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast