starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to go from here in order to get stronger?

Default Where to go from here in order to get stronger?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello. I have been lifting weights for the past year now. I've gained 45 pounds, I've gone from 110 to 155 and 5'9 to 5'11. I am dealing with some plateauing, and I am 16. My lifts are a 235 lb squat, 315 lb deadlift, a 200 lb bench press, a 100 lb overhead press, and 155 lb powerclean. My lifts are not increasing as often as they once were a couple months prior. Now that I am theoretically past the novice phase, at least for my current weight, should I hop on the intermediate SS program (Texas Method) or do the novice SS and try that for the first time? Because I have been on my own program for a while with a SS type theme except higher frequency. I squat, bench, and press on one day, and deadlift and do some arm and back work the next. Is this avid recovery as well? If you have questions about specifics, please ask me. All I want is to get STRONGER Mark, nothing else, so please tell me what I must do.

Novice status has nothing to do with how much you lift or how long you've been doing it - it's the technical term for someone following the SS Linear Progression program who's still able to add weight to every lift on every workout.

Basically.... do the program as written until you can't. Then worry about changing it up.

Try the actual novice program as its written, not one that's "themed" like it. You're still a novice who can gain weight and get stronger through the program.

Quote Originally Posted by ehcundiff View Post
    Now that I am theoretically past the novice phase, at least for my current weight, should I hop on the intermediate SS program (Texas Method) or do the novice SS and try that for the first time?
    You are manifestly not beyond novice phase at your age, weight, and height with those lifts. Not saying they are bad lifts by any means here, just that you have more room to go.

Try the actual program, stop with the "arm etc " crap.

5'11 and 155 lbs? If you work to put on another 45 pounds, I guarantee your strength numbers will keep going up. As others have said, try doing the exact program.

Keep running the Novice LP...eat more food than you are now. You are 16, you can go much higher in body weight and not become overly fat. Don't waste your potential by staying small.

Thank you all for the advice. I will heed all your advice by eating a lot more nutritious calorie dense foods, and starting the novice program ASAP. Let the gains begin!

Quote Originally Posted by ehcundiff View Post
    Thank you all for the advice. I will heed all your advice by eating a lot more nutritious calorie dense foods, and starting the novice program ASAP. Let the gains begin!
    Remember that you get stronger by recovering from lifting, not just lifting. Don't add extra stuff and make sure you get plenty of sleep and food.

Also, be sure to read the articles: "The first 3 questions" and "A clarification." You're the perfect candidate for this program. You'll be a monster if you do it perfectly.

starting strength coach development program
    Another vote for do the program as written while working to get your bodyweight with a 2 in front of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast