starting strength gym

Thread: Where to buy stuff for home gym in Quebec, Canada

Default Where to buy stuff for home gym in Quebec, Canada

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello, i live in Quebec City near Montreal and I'm looking for a good retailer for barbell equipment. I wouldn't mind driving couple of hours to go get the stuff myself at a warehouse or something and save on shipping.

I'm probably going to buy the barbells from RogueCanada, but i find the rest of their stuff overpriced.

What i'm looking for mostly is good steel plates with 2% accuracy and a good squat rack that can work for bench. I don't really care for a full cage. I'm probably gonna DIY some jerk blocks and use them as safety.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Oliax View Post
    Hello, i live in Quebec City near Montreal and I'm looking for a good retailer for barbell equipment. I wouldn't mind driving couple of hours to go get the stuff myself at a warehouse or something and save on shipping.

I'm probably going to buy the barbells from RogueCanada, but i find the rest of their stuff overpriced.

What i'm looking for mostly is good steel plates with 2% accuracy and a good squat rack that can work for bench. I don't really care for a full cage. I'm probably gonna DIY some jerk blocks and use them as safety.

Thanks!
    Can't speak for Canada, but generally plates with validated tolerances command something of a premium. The simpler method for steel plates is the grab your bathroom scale, head to the sports outlet store, grab the plates and weight them yourself. When you find the good ones that actually weigh as printed, buy them.

Alternatively just buy competition plates and pay 200% more for the privilege of having someone else weigh them.

Yeah i guess it seems silly but the issue that i have is that the local retailer dont carry standard Steel plates by a ton, id have to place an order

Fitness Depot is a Canadian company with many locations throughout Canada. They have pretty cheap stuff. I bought my plates there for ~$0.55/lb brand new. I just looked and it seems they've raised their prices closer to $1/lb. The downside was the rubber coating continues to get on my hands. All the plates were within +/-1%. I was able to weigh them prior to purchasing.

I would suggest purchasing an inexpensive fish scale to weigh them (~$10 on amazon). These have 0.01lb tolerance vs 0.2lb on a bathroom scale. You just need to get some sort of strap to tie the weight to the hook on the scale. Also, it would help if you have something to hang the scale from, because your hand movement will cause a lot of weight variation.