starting strength gym
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the Average, healthy Man Between 18 - 40 Potential

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Maybe Press has a SD = 35

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    So, to answer the specific numbers proposed by Gilchrest, the 2/3/4/5 is a given.
    Fuck, don't I wish. I've got one more year in the under 40 category and there's no way I'm hitting 2 on the press. I'll be happy if I ever get there. The 3 for bench wasn't that bad though. My squat and deadlift are in lock step with each other and I haven't made it to 5 yet.

Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    My guess based on 100% pure anecdotal scientifical BS/conjecture:

Bench - 285, SD = 75

Squat - 400, SD = 100

Press - 190, SD = 55

Dead - 550, SD = 110

Also, if I were to guess whether my estimated were high or low, I would say that they are possibly on the low side by maybe 10 - 15%.
    And these are something like "mean natty genetic limit"?

You guys are cray cray

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Take the mean of the age range proposed (29) and assume 2 years of 80% compliant sensible programming based on progressive overload.

What are your conjectured means? I'm not asking to be a dick. Quite the converse, your experience as a coach would imply a far better set of measurements and observations.
    I don't know, Brah.

Screw this stuff, who cares what we expect from 18 yo 70" 220lb guys who eat out of their parents' fridge and sleep 10 hours per day.

I want to know, what do we expect for a 45 year old lifetime-skinny sedentary guy with a job and kids who takes up barbells for the first time? *Not* a former jock -- a former band nerd.
    Let's make him kyphotic and prone to tendonitis. Give him a bad back too. And maybe low T.

Now, lead him to believe that all "real men" can get to 3/4/5 in 18 months, or they weren't really DTFP, so he pushes too fast and hurts himself frequently.
    That's what threads like this accomplish.

Not that I'm bitter or anything :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    It's all biased in terms of sampling those who train long term.

Here:

Of men 18-25 that are 70" +/- 2" and 220lbs +/- 20 lbs and with 5 years of barbell-centric training with a 80% adherence rate, what do we expect on S/B/D?
    This was a couple pages back, but from my anecdotal experience in this exact demographic (but with a bit less weight and training age), 2/3/4/5 is definitely within potential of this group. You might not even look like you lift with 2/3/4/5, I don't.

Probably 325-365 bench, 480-520 squat, 540-575 deadlift is possible. I am a moron with exactly average genetics (21-22 in vertical). Of course, Squat, Bench, Deadlift numbers are all anthropometry-dependent at the genetic limit, so the distributions are multimodal. Global standard deviation is less meaningful in this view. Someone with "average" anthropometry is probably linear in the whole range. Someone with a short torso is probably lower end on squats, higher end on deadlift, etc.
    Last edited by Coconut Chris; 06-22-2017 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    I think it's reasonable for a male, 18-30 to reach a 300 bench within 1.5-3 years, with good programming.
    And what about a male, almost 34 years young, no athletic background, and who is also 5'5? How long would it take said fictional character to reach a 300lbs bench press?

Quote Originally Posted by Mahendra View Post
    And what about a male, almost 34 years young, no athletic background, and who is also 5'5? How long would it take said fictional character to reach a 300lbs bench press?
    4 months.

There are not that many people insane enough to actually approach their genetic limit. The ones with shit genetics are going to quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahendra View Post
    6 months. Bulk to 200 (kg, obvs).

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    Screw this stuff, who cares what we expect from 18 yo 70" 220lb guys who eat out of their parents' fridge and sleep 10 hours per day.

I want to know, what do we expect for a 45 year old lifetime-skinny sedentary guy with a job and kids who takes up barbells for the first time? *Not* a former jock -- a former band nerd.
    Let's make him kyphotic and prone to tendonitis. Give him a bad back too. And maybe low T.

Now, lead him to believe that all "real men" can get to 3/4/5 in 18 months, or they weren't really DTFP, so he pushes too fast and hurts himself frequently.
    That's what threads like this accomplish.

Not that I'm bitter or anything :-)
    This might be fun to play with. It takes into account aspects of frame to calculate LBM potential. Then, based on LBM, it will come up with "efficiency" numbers (how close are you to the best with similar LBM; probably want to use actual LBM over max LBM, if you want to know how you're doing as you are rather than under the ideal circumstances). I would say it's reasonably fair to treat this like a percentile group. I would further adjust the numbers thusly:

- Decrease the maximum efficiency by ~10% for every decade after 15 that you started training
    - Decrease max efficiency by ~10% for every decade over 35

Tell people that you're in the 95th percentile for men your age and build. Then try to keep all the babes from swarming you.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast