starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question regarding platforms.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    You prefer squatting on horse mats rather than a platform?

Quote Originally Posted by Baddecisions View Post
    You prefer squatting on horse mats rather than a platform?
    I've, personally, noted zero performance difference.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    I can't tell a difference either. My old gym had platforms which I used exclusively. My current gym is all horse stall mats. There is a certain formality feeling to a platform, and if I had access to one I'd use it, but no difference in performance that I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Same. I'm no big squatter, but I noticed no difference between squatting on concrete, stall mats, and wood.

I made three platforms from that exact DIY video. I made one extra middle section I use when we need more room for olympic lifting.

Here's the platforms in"DL setup" and another video with three smaller platforms made into two bigger platforms.

Instagram

Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by John Janecek View Post
    I made three platforms from that exact DIY video. I made one extra middle section I use when we need more room for olympic lifting.

Here's the platforms in"DL setup" and another video with three smaller platforms made into two bigger platforms.

Instagram

Instagram
    Great set up! I suppose you never have a problem with them walking away, and if it can handle a 275 pound jerk I should be fine.

Great set up! I suppose you never have a problem with them walking away, and if it can handle a 275 pound jerk I should be fine.
    Thanks, there pretty solid and sitting on a rubber mat floor so they rarely slide around. There light enough to move around but not real light. Shouldn't be a problem with them walking away-I own the place and have the keys..ha

Quote Originally Posted by John Janecek View Post
    Thanks, there pretty solid and sitting on a rubber mat floor so they rarely slide around. There light enough to move around but not real light. Shouldn't be a problem with them walking away-I own the place and have the keys..ha
    Mine will be on the carpet of my basement. Not ideal, but that's why I'm building a platform. That, and there are only two squat racks within a 80 mile radius of my house.

Hi,

typical 8x8 or 8x6 won't work with my space. I wouldn't be able to maneuver it down the narrow, winding stairs to my basement.
    every layer of my platform is made of three, not two stripes, otherwise I wold not have been able to carry them in my car. The platform sits on 25mm rubber tiles; my floor is made of normal tiles, and so far I haven't broken anything (althought my DL is puny, and I try never to drop anything from overhead).

IPB

starting strength coach development program
    How To Build Your Own Deadlift Platform w/ Your Logo - YouTube
    Check out this video from Alan Thrall! Putting horse mat on the sides and then just extending his more rectangular deadlift platform into a bigger platform. The horse mat on the sides is really nice for your weights.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast