starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Question regarding platforms.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by tnumrych View Post
    I'll second the glue comment. I stupidly glued mine and afterward, I realized that when I eventually move, I'm going to have to cut all of it up and trash it instead of just taking it apart and reassembling it.
    Another one who glued it and wished he didn't. I wanted it to look good.

Horse stall mats are very solid. Plus, you definitely will not slip on them. If you are really worried about cracking, you could throw one layer of OSB underneath to help distribute the weight. I don't think there will be nearly as much weight distribution on just stall mats.

Quote Originally Posted by ithryn View Post
    I'm curious what you'd have to do to crack concrete through even one layer of 3/4 in horse stall mat. Angrily set down a 500 lb deadlift? Drop a 225 snatch from overhead?
    If you're using iron and no bumpers, 1 layer of horse stall mat may not be enough. The issue is stress over time. Stall mat will deform slightly so the force isn't spread out so much. The force is only distributed across the line the plates contact the floor (which is small so PSI is much higher).

Strongman types (like myself) have to really be careful when it comes to stuff like atlas stones were the stone (maybe only 300#) will fall and because the point of contact is so small you can crack concrete over time with even 2 mats. I've heard of concrete cracking with 3....but only hear say.

A layer of plywood or OSB does alot. If it's in a basement, get plywood. OSB can become warped over time absorbing moisture from the cold/Damp concrete floor of a basement

starting strength coach development program
    This is what I did

Content Not Found

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123