starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question regarding platforms.

Default Question regarding platforms.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I just bought my first batch of iron, my squat rack and barbell are in the mail. I was getting ready to build a platform, but the typical 8x8 or 8x6 won't work with my space. I wouldn't be able to maneuver it down the narrow, winding stairs to my basement. I had the thought of building it in three separate pieces. One for the hard plywood, and two for the horse mats on the sides. This would also help me, because I move a lot. Has anyone done this? Or does anyone see a problem with this? I set my weights down as nice as I can, but I don't feel like having 500 pounds of equipment I just paid for hit my uncracked concrete floor. Am I better off throwing a few horse mats down and calling it a day? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Baddecisions View Post
    Am I better off throwing a few horse mats down and calling it a day?
    Probably.

Screw the platform pieces together. Don't bother with glue. I have a 2-layer 4x8 platform for deadlifts and have stall mats under the rest of the equipment.

You could cut the plywood into 2x4 or 2x8 sheets to get them down the stairs, it would take some more screws to hold it all together put it would work.

Quote Originally Posted by murphyreedus View Post
    Screw the platform pieces together. Don't bother with glue. I have a 2-layer 4x8 platform for deadlifts and have stall mats under the rest of the equipment.
    I'll second the glue comment. I stupidly glued mine and afterward, I realized that when I eventually move, I'm going to have to cut all of it up and trash it instead of just taking it apart and reassembling it.

I built mine as two separate 4x8 pieces, I guess if worse comes to worse you could always double layer the stall mats and secure them together with machine screws and t-nuts...

Same issue in the basement gym. Assembled the platform using 1-1/4 inch wood screws 16-inches OC throughout the 4x8 sheets of plywood. Took a pound box, but it's completely able to be taken apart.

I'm curious what you'd have to do to crack concrete through even one layer of 3/4 in horse stall mat. Angrily set down a 500 lb deadlift? Drop a 225 snatch from overhead?

Now that I've picked up and scooted by 8x8 platform around the garage when it was just two layers of wood (I should log that as a workout), I'm pretty convinced that two triple-layer 4x8 platforms next to each aren't going to walk if you built them separately and laid them next to each other. So three sections would probably be fine too especially if both feet are on one section. Once you've got two layers of plywood and one rubber it's going to be pretty heavy.

Don't sue me when you die from sudden platform separation though.

Default Thanks for all of the replies

Ok, skipping the glue. Glad you guys said something, I had a tube of liquid nails on standby ha. I can keep this updated with pictures of how it's going if anyone cares. If no one cares, I won't.

Found this and thought it might suit my needs. I guess one layer of plywood and one layer of horsemat should do the trick.
    How to Make a Portable Deadlift Platform (DIY Weightlifting Platform) - YouTube

I might make the middle platform a bit longer, like the picture below. Then I can bolt my stand to my platform. Also, I just really like the look of this set up, And isn't the point of having a home gym to like where I squat?
    https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...8f&oe=59D79038

starting strength coach development program
    Through horse mat, that'd be difficult. I'd crack a weight plate before my floor. Right now, It's just concrete though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast