starting strength gym
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Barbell Whip Differences?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    Then they're not that experienced at pulling with the Floppy Bar (TM).
    Guys that are fast off the floor legitimately don't like deadlift bars because of the whip. No amount of practice will change that.

I'd say there was a difference between choosing to wear Oly Shoes to allow you to pull what would be a stronger style (for the individual lifter) than unilaterally changing the bar height for everyone...links back into where the individual lifters weaknesses are, as you correctly pointed out above.
    I find the claim that increasing the rom ~1.0" and decreasing the rom ~0.5" both add lbs to the lift to be incompatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Guys that are fast off the floor legitimately don't like deadlift bars because of the whip. No amount of practice will change that.

I find the claim that increasing the rom ~1.0" and decreasing the rom ~0.5" both add lbs to the lift to be incompatible.
    Yes, and Yes.

Decreasing ROM seems really overrated. Being able to get into a better (tighter, more open hip angle) start position matters more. Seems like this is easier to do when using a more flexible bar. Kinda like having slightly longer arms.

Nah, I'm just saying that .65" is about 7% of 9", which is about what the bar is from the floor.
    Remember though, the .65" is if you are pulling right in the middle of the bar. Even with a closer grip using conventional, you won't be anywhere near that. Some sumo guys get closer to the middle, but I have never seen someone pull right on the middle of the bar before. And guys like me, who have my hands just inside the power ring, see way less than the .65".

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    Kind of shitposting, but I bet mwhities pulled from the middle of the bar.
    You have no class.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    Remember though, the .65" is if you are pulling right in the middle of the bar. Even with a closer grip using conventional, you won't be anywhere near that. Some sumo guys get closer to the middle, but I have never seen someone pull right on the middle of the bar before. And guys like me, who have my hands just inside the power ring, see way less than the .65".
    How much do you reckon you get Les?

How much do you reckon you get Les?
    I am not sure. If you look at my most recent video, not much I would say. For me, pulling with a normal bar isn't really much different. I just use the deadlift bar because it is in a lot of the competitions I do. Also, I keep it locked up, so it isn't bent at all.

It wasn't an insult, merely a fact. One he probably would agree with.

Although it technically fits the description, for all other purposes it is irrelevant to the "grip width vs. bar deflection" debate.
    You are correct. He would be one of the few exceptions to the rule.

It wasn't an insult, merely a fact. One he probably would agree with.
    Same thing I was going to say, actually, until I saw that you beat me to it. It's an impressive pull.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    You have no class.
    Wasn't it you who mocked Herbison for injuring himself on a 600 deadlift a few months ago?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by lewabbit View Post
    Wasn't it you who mocked Herbison for injuring himself on a 600 deadlift a few months ago?
    To be fair, and not trying to prove that Shug does have class, that was a pretty stupid attempt. Pro-tip: don't do two full meets on back-to-back days.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast