starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how dependent is raw strength on bodyweight

Default how dependent is raw strength on bodyweight

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    TLDR version I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 6 years ago.. dicked around with various forms of exercise then found SS around November when I was researching a program for my son to do for football.

I started out about 280 (6'4") in November and worked my poverty lifts up to

Bench 165 x3x5
    Squat 255 x3x5
    DL 300x1x5
    OH press 100x3x5

While getting down to about 265 in Jan upon which time everything crashed and burned, so I deloaded and cycled up to

Bench 205 x3x5
    Squat 285x3x5
    DL 325 x1x5
    OH press I messed around with 5 sets of 3 at 135

Now I weigh about 250, I look half decent, the visceral fat around my abdomen is mostly gone, my blood sugar seems good and my lifts are slowly improving.

I was thinking of hanging out at this weight, and get off the cutting bandwagon for awhile, seem like a good plan or no?

If your lifts are still progressing and going up while you maintain this bodyweight, and you feel good health wise then I would stay at that weight. If you start to stall out or have to do some resets then I would maybe look at the diet again then.

Yeah, stay at your current weight and see what happens. It really depends a lot on levers, genetics, etc. to see how strong you can get at your current body weight. On the high end you would probably have to gain weight (if you ever wanted to become an elite lifter), but you may be able to hit your goals at your current body weight. What are your goals btw? :-)

How much pussy are you getting?

Not very dependent. Im 6'4"or 5" and weigh 275 or so. Im about 20 percent bodyfat, so not a slob, but nothing great in a speedo.

I'm at:
    Press: 225x3
    Bench: 325 x 3
    Sq: 450 for a single
    Deadlift: 535 for a single.

You've got lots and lots of room to get strong. Takes a couple of years, but you'll get there.

Watch your diet and try not to get too fat again. its tricky business. I started at 340, shriveled down to 220 or so doing my novice progression and over the past 5 years have put on about 45 pounds of muscular bodyweight, and about 20 pounds of fat, while working various intermediate training schemes.

Im also 47 years old, so theres that compounding factor.

Long term progress is highly dependent on continued hypertrophy which is, of course, best facilitated by weight gain. However, you can maintain a reasonable body fat percentage by cutting and bulking in a cyclical fashion. This is what almost all weight class athletes do when they want to manipulate their weight or body composition.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Real men weigh 200kg.
    At least.

I don't see you mention your age. Are you 40+? The older you are, the more difficult it will be to make good progress while cutting, but that is highly dependent on the person.

Speaking from personal experience, I was cutting and making progress for a few months. But there were a few de-loads in there. I definitely was not able to make steady progress. It can be a balancing act of maintaing fatigue while making progress with the scale and weights. Besides, the bf is more impotant than the raw weight. If you are 20% and your health has improved, that is not a bad spot to maintain. I'm assuming your main goal was health based on your first post.

If you are really serious about making progress, I would suggest getting a coach that is experienced with both training and nutrition. Having someone that has gone through these issues with other clients can help you find a good solution much faster than doing it on your own. I wouldn't have been able to make the progress I have without my coach.

Clearly, this all depends on the OPs wrist size, SVJ, and whether he clasp his hands behind his back (one over, one under).

starting strength coach development program
    whether he clasp his hands behind his back (one over, one under).[/QUOTE]

What does this indicate? Just curious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast