• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Male, 29y
    5 11 (reach 7ft, 9 inch)
    170 lbs (11,5% bodyfat)
    5REP Squat MAX 1,2xbw
    Trapbar DL 1RM MAX 2,1xbw
    Powerclean 1RM MAX 0,6xbw

Here is my running two step dunk: VJ on Vimeo (rim is about 9 10)

I feel like there is very little difference between me jumping with a 1 step approach (still 2 feet) compared to the video above where I am bulding up my speed. As you can see I lose all my momentum when taking the penultimum step. How do I avoid this? What am I lacking? Is it the squat strength? MCV? Explosiveness?

I think I need to focus all my attention on improving my squat 1RM max and also focusing on power hang cleans to get my explosiveness up to par. Any ideas?

inb4 umair

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Baraki View Post
    inb4 umair
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Tom K View Post
    +1
    +2, because we know where this is heading.

You should have done this 10 years ago. It takes tens of thousands of jumps to reach a high level of success, and you must get very thin to peak your jumping which puts you at greater risk for injury. You will build strength and size only to lose in an unremitting loop. In the long run you may prefer to spare your joints and build more strength, as I doubt you will be able to achieve much before a natural, creeping decline, or sudden injury leave you with fewer options.

I'm somewhat versed in the jumping arts.
    What the jumping gurus would say about your feeling that your losing all your energy during your penultimum step...is to work on your "eccentric strength". The ability to reverse down and stop a load....explosively in this case.

They would say to do light squat where you would go down faster than normal, and try to stop quickly and come back up fast. Which, seems a like knee exploder.(bad idea).

Maybe just try to push your full squat up as much as possible, and practice jumping alot.

Your lifts seem like they could improve quite a bit...so there some room to be gained there
    Last edited by MBasic; 07-16-2017 at 07:29 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    That is not a dunk. You can touch the rim, cool.

My brother is almost 40 about the same height as you and has played competitive rec ball since high school at tournaments like Hoop it Up etc. We are not genetic superstars or anything like that. In his prime (21)he could dunk.He feels he has compromised his longevity in playing by doing excessive plyometrics and other severely joint impacting things.
    He has focused more on strength training. Read Rips article on training vs practice then read it again. Then read it again and realize it applies to you and that you are not special. You are not an elite level athlete so what some skinny 6'4" pro does not apply to you.

Take 3 months and only shoot hoops once or 2x a week not playing full games and not "testing" your "dunk". Gain some strength and weight without packing on to much fat. Continue to strength train after the 3 months but resume your sport and adjust your programming to suit. You will be able to play to a much older age and hold your own against the younger guys because of your strength.
    My brother and I have watched most of his friends quit because of injuries that wouldn't have happened if the guys were stronger and trained intelligently.
    Last edited by Warren M; 07-16-2017 at 09:17 AM.