starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift platform / Plywood vs 2 layers of horse stall mats?

Default Deadlift platform / Plywood vs 2 layers of horse stall mats?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Kind of a strange first post, I know...

I am arranging for a dedicated deadlift area in my garage gym. Currently, I have the entire floor covered with 3/4" thick horse stall mats. These are the super dense kind of TSC. I intend to eventually work up to weights over 500lbs. Up to now, I was using bumpers. I sold them in favor of iron as bumpers were going to eventually be a problem working up to heavy weights.

For some time, I have been planning on doing the standard 2 layers of OSB/Plywood, then the top layer 4x4' of premium plywood + 2x4' strips of horse stall mats on the end. Recently, I noticed that Rogue's deadlift platform (which I have no interest in buying) uses the rubber tiles that are 1.5" thick.

By that logic, would I be safe just doubling the horse stall mats (giving me 1.5" thick rubber mats) on top of each other in this area and calling it good, or would I benefit from a "true" platform with OSB/ply?

So I'm not flogged, I do not intend to ever drop the weight. I always lower the weight in a controlled manner. I may be a first time poster, but I am well versed in SS:BBT and PP.

Thanks in advance for your time.
    Last edited by fevzay; 07-10-2017 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fevzay View Post
    Kind of a strange first post, I know...

I am arranging for a dedicated deadlift area in my garage gym. Currently, I have the entire floor covered with 3/4" thick horse stall mats. These are the super dense kind of TSC. I intend to eventually work up to weights over 500lbs. Up to now, I was using bumpers. I sold them in favor of iron as bumpers were going to eventually be a problem working up to heavy weights.

For some time, I have been planning on doing the standard 2 layers of OSB/Plywood, then the top layer 4x4' of premium plywood + 2x4' strips of horse stall mats on the end. Recently, I noticed that Rogue's deadlift platform (which I have no interest in buying) uses the rubber tiles that are 1.5" thick.

By that logic, would I be safe just doubling the horse stall mats (giving me 1.5" thick rubber mats) on top of each other in this area and calling it good, or would I benefit from a "true" platform with OSB/ply?

So I'm not flogged, I do not intend to ever drop the weight. I always lower the weight in a controlled manner. I may be a first time poster, but I am well versed in SS:BBT and PP.

Thanks in advance for your time.
    I believe Alan Thrall has a video on his YouTube on how to create a platform step by step, that might help you out.

I have basement gym and it's basically a regular stall mat over concrete. I've considered adding plywood for a proper platform but honestly if a stall mat can handle a 2,000 pound horse I'm not sure what you gain by plywood. I mean, honestly I don't know but it is so damn dense I don't see, feel or have any signs of it giving. If you drop enough weight from high enough over a long enough period of time it's going to do damage. But like you said if you don't plan on dropping shit you should be OK. Honestly I would not worry about it until you get to over 500+ pounds, that's sort of my plan. Until that time I'm forgetting about it... and at my age and when I started 500 is highly unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Strega View Post
    I have basement gym and it's basically a regular stall mat over concrete. I've considered adding plywood for a proper platform but honestly if a stall mat can handle a 2,000 pound horse I'm not sure what you gain by plywood. I mean, honestly I don't know but it is so damn dense I don't see, feel or have any signs of it giving. If you drop enough weight from high enough over a long enough period of time it's going to do damage. But like you said if you don't plan on dropping shit you should be OK. Honestly I would not worry about it until you get to over 500+ pounds, that's sort of my plan. Until that time I'm forgetting about it... and at my age and when I started 500 is highly unlikely.
    THANK YOU. My buddy deadlifts 400+ on his 3/4" stall mats over TILE FLOORS (for years now) with zero cracking of the tile. 3/4" stall mats are awesome for gym use, and are probably all anybody needs.. unless you Oly lift.. with iron.

I've been lifting with 3/4" stall mats over concrete for about 4 years now with no issues.. though I'm only lifting in the 350 range.

I've only heard of one incident on the entire interwebz of a dude cracking his concrete with only stall mats, and everybody concluded his concrete was definitely poured incorrectly. Lol.
    Last edited by thejosef; 07-10-2017 at 01:39 PM.

The plywood isn't necessary, but it really helps if you have your rack on the platform as it gives you something to bolt/screw it to. I had just stall mats with my rack sitting on them and, even with weights on the plate holders, it would move on me when I was racking/unracking heavy squats and, sometimes, bench presses. The plywood might be better than stall mats if you're doing explosive pulls.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    The plywood isn't necessary, but it really helps if you have your rack on the platform as it gives you something to bolt/screw it to. I had just stall mats with my rack sitting on them and, even with weights on the plate holders, it would move on me when I was racking/unracking heavy squats and, sometimes, bench presses. The plywood might be better than stall mats if you're doing explosive pulls.
    Why is the rack not bolted into the concrete floor?

In my particular case, I didn't lag it into the concrete because the place was a rental. I knew we were going to be moving, so I didn't want to put a whole platform together just to take it apart in a few months. So, I figured, why not be lazy and dangerous all at the same time.

The gym I go to has had those mats down for the last 10 years and they're still fine.

Thanks for the responses, guys (and gals if present).

I appreciate the comment about Alan Thrall's video too. Looks nice.

For now, I feel a lot better about using my TSC mats until I can get something put together.

starting strength coach development program
    I'll chime in with another plain ol' single horse stall mat over concrete, and iron only. 2 years so far with a max deadlift of 405, and no issues whatsoever.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast